Subaru Crosstrek rust

On the subject of road floods during Tampa Bay high tides, I’d hate to see how far inland the Gulf of Mexico spreads during storm surges.

2 Likes

When I lives in Buffalo in the 60s, I drove 1 1/2 miles to work. I had to replace the exhaust system yearly.

This car may have had the converter stolen by cutting the exhaust and tail pipes and replaced them with non stainless pipes.

Does this"mechanic" also recommend replacing the car if the ash trats are full?

2 Likes

In NJ, as late as the '70s, I had to replace the entire exhaust system on my cars when they got to 3 or 4 years old. Not as extreme as in Buffalo, but light years different from cars of the last 3 decades or so.

When I lived in Colorado my truck’s muffler would fall off every 4 years and would have to get a new one installed. Didn’t need to replace entire exhaust system though, just the muffler and the tail pipe. Maybe partly b/c truck is higher up off of the ground compared to a car.

We did this all the time with a friend. His father owned three car dealerships. Our friend got the use of a car until he exceeded the mileage limit and then had to get it replaced. We used to tease him that the ash trays were full or the windows needed washing so it was time for a new car.

1 Like

I guess things are different here. Said it before but in high school a friends dad owned the ford, mercury, Lincoln dealership. Because there were three of them in high school, a car was provided to them. It was a 1953 ford in 1965. And the heater didn’t work. Beat walking anyway but not a new car every year. Plus the kids had to report to the dealership for work after school. It’s called building character. So the one is a bank vice President, the other owns the dealership now, and don’t know what the girl is doing.

2 Likes

Salt water in the streets…and you live there…why?

Ever consider a boat?

Salt water in the streets

I lived in the Tampa bay area for ten years and the only time I saw salt water in the streets was when there was a huricane coming up the gulf side of Florida.

That is true, but hurricanes are certainly not unknown in FL–even on the Gulf side of the state. But, trying to look on the bright side, perhaps the salt water will kill the mosquitoes that are now spreading Malaria in FL.
:wink:

2 Likes

Mosquitoes are easier to kill than snakes though. One year we sprayed the whole state of minnesota to kill those little buggers. People cheered as those low flying national guard bombers sprayed everyone. Not sure what the price of malathion is these days but there is a killing to be made.

People have lived on the sea coast for a long time. As the oceans rise there will be more flooding. It’s happening in all states bordering the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf of Mexico.

1 Like