Stupid VW Cabrio

My father inlaw has a 2000 VW Cabrio that is having running, and starting problems. Last year he was having problems with the car when he would drive in the morning or by a body of water the car would shut off and not even start to turn over for ten to twenty min. later and put about 12 trouble codes on computer. So I replaced distributor rotor spark plugs and wires, then replaced coil pack and it fixed the problem. Till a couple of months ago it started again but now it shuts off about every 15 min till it has ran on and off for about an hour. Replaced the coil pack and that did not fix the problem no trouble codes any ideas?

I believe the work you did was an intelligent choice.  

You say you have about 12 codes to begin with, but after the work you did, they all disappeared.  It would have been nice to know what they were.    That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer.

I was just thinking last week how there were no kid in the class waving hand posts. You need to start by figuring out in failure mode if it is a spark or fuel problem.

It was random electrical codes that would shift between 9 and 12 all different codes but after I cleared them it wouldn’t light up until the coil pack arched again

And now when it dies it does not give a code only before I replaced the coil pack last year.

Get the codes, and report back.

BC.

Body of water. Clean the engine to body ground on the body end. No guarantee there but strange things happen sometimes due to a floating ground condition. Body, water, floating; it sounds like a joke but maybe it will help. Have the windsheld wipers ever quit when it was raining? AC ever make the engine stall? If so, check the grounds. I know, I should mention the Ground Round too.