Studded snow tires

If you watched the video that bscar posted then this discussion is over. If you haven’t watched the video please do so now (and this discussion is over).

It’s very simple. No traction, no control. All the 4wd and electronic trickery in the world won’t make all season tires grip better than four winter tires. If you disagree please do not respond but go view the video again.

Next topic please…

Sorry never had winter or studded tires and a majority of vehicles rear 2wd. Losing control is called driving too fast for conditions. WI MN ND IL experience here, sure winter tires help, but knowing your limits helps more.

@Joseph_E_Meehan "… 4WD to drive during the winter for safety. However, if anything they may be less safe. They can give you false sense of security. You can’t stop or reduce the chance of loosing control via 4WD. "

Agreed on stopping but not on losing control.

I recently purchased a used Acura MDX that has something called SH-AWD.

I will assume that SH-AWD is a form of stability control.  Stability Control can offer better safety.  I intend to have it on my next car.  

I did not address that in my original reply.  I guess I should have.

Stability control is amazing. It uses individual braking/engine power cut at a rear wheel to pivot a vehicle on track if going off kilter. SH-AWD and other enhanced AWD systems extend the run of the mill Stability control system by send power to an individual rear wheel to accomplish a similar feat. It really works.

@waterboy - Did you watch the video referenced in my previous post? I hardly think that the drivers in the two vehicles were going “too fast”. Furthermore, your statement “losing control is called driving too fast for conditions” is a tautology. If you go too fast for conditions you will lose control. Duh!!! The idea of winter tires is to provide more grip. Period. If you chose to drive too fast it will not matter what type of tires, traction control, drive type, or even your relationship to god.

Lastly, the tired argument that better tires and technology creates inferior drivers is nonsensical. A bad driver will be more dangerous with bad tires, no traction control and RWD.

How about this for a tautology? “Being a better, more informed driver that stays within his/her limits results in fewer crashes”. It’s genius!!!