Stripped lug, safe to drive or not?

2007 Honda Accord LX

I stripped the lug on my front right wheel, 4 are ok, but the one is toast. I ordered a new one, but it wont arrive until mid or late week. Will I be OK driving with 1 bad lug for the week?

You will be fine as long as the others are secure.

As long as you’re not driving at 100 MPH, you’ll be good.

Tester

I agree, you’ll be perfectly safe as long as the other four are properly torqued.
Which brings up the question, how did you strip it?

"I agree, you'll be perfectly safe as long as the other four are properly torqued."

+1

But, of course, that leads to the inevitable question:
Does the OP own a torque wrench?

If not, he/she really needs to buy one.
In addition to using it when changing tires yourself, it is a very good idea to re-torque lug nuts after your tires have been rotated by a service facility, as some of them do not torque lug nuts to the proper specification.

Your Owner’s Manual should list the correct torque specs for your lug nuts, although it may take a bit of searching to locate those numbers in the book.

Did you strip the lug nut or the stud? If you stripped the lug nut, are you sure the stud is OK? Be sure and check so you don’t strip the new lug nut.

This next comment will likely start a debate but I always put a little anti-seize on each stud so this is less likely to happen. Keep it away from the tapered lug seat on the wheel, just the threads and buy a 1/2 inch torque wrench and a socket that fits your lug nuts.

I do the same Mustangman, just a very small dap and use a rag or paper towel to coat the threads. I have had too many galled studs/nuts break off when removing them, espically on GM cars. Have not had this happen since I started using anti seize. I always use a torque wrench.

I’m surprised it takes that long to get a replacement. Did you check local parts houses? Is that slow delivery from the dealer?

I refuse to service any vehicle that comes into the shop, where the tires/wheels have to be removed and reinstalled, and I find there’s any kind lubricant on the lug nuts/studs.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/yokohama-s-drives-on-pch-1/make-sure-your-wheels-are-properly-torqued

Tester

Did you strip the nut or the stud (or both)? If the stud is ok you could just temporarily borrow a nut from a back wheel. There is a lot less stress in the back due to less weight and much less cornering stress.

Tester
I refuse to service any vehicle that comes into the shop, where the tires/wheels have to be removed and reinstalled, and I find there’s any kind lubricant on the lug nuts/studs.

The last time I commented on this subject, I said that I always lubed the threads, and didn’t see how it could much affect torque readings since the nut turning against the wheel itself seemed far more significant to me.
This is from your source:

While lubricating hardware THREADS is recommended, it is important NOT to lubricate hardware SEATS. The friction which torque is measured against should come from the hardware seats. Lubricating hardware seats can result in inaccurate torque readings and/or over-torquing the hardware.

Here’s a simple question you have to ask yourself.

Did the vehicle come from the factory with any kind of lubricant on the wheel mounting hardware?

No. And the reason why is these are known as dry torque fasteners. Which means you don’t apply a lubricant.

Ever watch them install lug nuts at the factory?

A multiple head torque wrench runs the lug nuts down all at once while measuring the torque at each lug nut.

DRY!

Tester

Tester
A multiple head torque wrench runs the lug nuts down all at once while measuring the torque at each lug nut.
DRY!

Hokay, but I think the point stands that the friction of nut against wheel is essentially what determines torque readings, so it’s fine to lube threads as some of us always have and will continue to, without any negative consequences at least in my case.

I might add that the info from your own source would strongly suggest that you rethink your personal policy:
Tester

Personally, I’ve never seen any lug studs lubed with anything except for the one in a million person who may have gotten a wild hair and tried it.