Strange 2015 Impala, went on its own

My foot is always on break when I lock it in park. That day I did not feel it locked in as usually, but blamed the steep shoulder, at the back of my mind.

That is what my husband believes in, that I put it in N, not P, and that what happened
 OK there is a chance (however, the door opened right away, like it was in P, while if it is not, the door would not unlock right away, you have to open it twice, and it was not the case). BUT - when car stopped by a tree, I put in in park, and turn off the engine and took keys out, but when my husband got in to move it in about 30 minutes, it was in N. ((

There is probably not one person here who has not experienced a fail in one way or another, I do not know if there will be another problem, I do not know if there will be a dealer solution, but given your unfortunate chain of events, you need to safeguard against them in the future, that being using parking brake, somehow making sure it will stick in park, or shutting off the engine every time you exit the vehicle and using parking brake.

2 times over the last 2 months people with new cars have been alerted their vehicle is sitll running a couple of hours after they showed up for work, stuff happens, sorry for your body damage, if only it was bushes! Drive on and have a good life.:sunglasses:

1 Like

It seems like it would be possible for it to change from P to R by itself if you didn’t quite get it fully into P, my truck has done that before. But it is hard to explain how it could change from P to N by itself, b/c R is in between. That’s the puzzle. Not saying such a thing couldn’t happen, maybe what the poster above says, do some experiments to see if you can get it to do it again while you are watching. People here seem to quite like their Impalas, so I wouldn’t overly worry about the car being a lemon.

2 Likes

Thank God it wasn’t a child.

5 Likes

If its a factory warranty, you can go to any dealer, not necessarily the one you bought it from.

1 Like

I doubt you’ll ever know what happened. I think your husband knows there is no mechanical/electrical failure mode to explain it. It will never happen again if you: 1.Never leave the car when it’s running, 2. Always apply the parking brake before leaving the car. Simple enough to do
problem solved.

1 Like

you buy the cng at wholesale
and sell it at retail
do you charge the customer a different price for a road vehicle use
or something different for using it on a farm only vehicle?
we used to call it farm gas in my rural area. no “road tax” fee.
but do you charge the farmers sales tax since it is a business expense?

It is a very simple thing to do which has always puzzled me that most A/T drivers never set the parking brake!

A BMW 3 series rolled away and hit another car on a fairly flat parking lot at my last employer. I didn’t know who the owner of the runaway Bimmer was, and didn’t know if they set the parking brake, but it’s a good assumption they didn’t. In MD, law requires that the parking brake be set. I guess that makes it easy to find a guilty party if a car does roll away.