Sticking brake

Thanks for the update, @bustedknuckles something to keep in mind.

@BustedKnuckles. Excellent explanation. I’d installed a new master cylinder trying to fix the sticky brake problem. I couldn’t remember if the rod was adjustable, so figured it’d be easiest to just to shim away from the firewall. It didn’t take much shimming to fix it

Yes, this let the return ports in the master cylinder line up better just like adjusting pushrod length would 9if it has an adjustable rod).
I believe if you had jacked up the jeep you would have found the opposite side wheel in the back would also have been stuck.

Since the left and right calipers use a common MC piston, I wonder what may be wrong with the left caliper that both right and left did not bind up. Maybe the left caliper is sticking, the left rubber hose is blocked, etc. One test is drive the CJ hard using the brakes a lot and them check the temperatures of all the rotors and drums. They should be even side to side.

Just curious.

The left front and right rear share half of the dual master cylinder. The right front and left rear share the other half. There is a brake line and port coming out of each half.

@Researcher‌ It was the right front break that was locking up. I’d installed new hoses on both front brakes tin my attempt to fix the problem. It didn’t. It seems shimming out the Master Cylinder did the trick. I’ll take it for a long drive this weekend

I’m thinking that if the master cylinder needed to be shimmed, maybe the push rod is not in the “cup” of the master cylinder piston.