Starting problem

Ok, my 97 honda civic has been hard to start, takes a min to get it going and when it does it shakes really bad then steadily evens out. My check engine light came on. It’s been likes this for about three weeks until i took it to the shop. I though it was leaking coolant but it was a bad cap. The mechanics said they changed out the starter check and replaced my coil, and check to see it was receiving fuel, and getting spark, now it been a week that they have had my car and still have no idea what is wrong with my car please help!!!

Changed the starter? Was there a problem with the starter turning the engine over, or a problem with the engine starting? Do you understand the difference?

Leaking coolant? In addition to a bad cap, could be a head gasket. Have your mechanic check for head gasket problems.

It was a problem with the engine starting! He check the head gasket and said that it was no problem there.

The problem might be with the fuel pump check valve. This valve prevents the fuel from draining out of the fuel rail(s)/gas line back into the gas tank as the vehicle sits. When this happens, it takes the fuel pump a while to reprime the fuel system and build pressure. Until this happens, the engine will run rough and then smooth out.

To see if this is the problem, the next time you know this is going to happen, just turn the ignition switch to the RUN position so the dash lights come on for two seconds and then turn the ignition to the OFF position. Repeat this a half a dozen times and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts and runs normally, the problem is with the check valve at the fuel pump.

Tester

I will try it, but if the problem persist do i need a new part for it or what low cost remedy could i use?