Starting issues 2010 hyundai accent

Car is having problems starting. The problem occurred the first time 3 weeks ago. The engine would turn over, but wouldn’t fire. I changed out the spark plugs, and the ignition coils. Same result. I took out the Camshaft Position Sensor, as I read that could cause problems too. It looked dirty so I cleaned it and re-installed it. When I did this, I did have the negative battery cable unplugged for 10 minutes. I put the cable on and it fired right up. No check engine light, no wierd engine noises.

Now, 3 weeks later, I put new LED strip lights in, so working with electronic equipment, I removed the negative cable. After I was done, I put the cable back on…and now it won’t start again…seems to be the same problem… so my question is…

Could my sensor be bad?
Could my fuel pump be going? I have never run out of gas. Car has 86k milage. Right now I am leaving the negative cable off for the night and I will go out in the am and see if it starts. What could be causing this issue?

When it cranks but won’t start, spray some starting fluid in the intake plenum. If it starts and runs a few seconds, I would suspect a fuel problem. Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn on the ignition? If you can hear it, cycle the ignition on and off three times, leaving it on for a few seconds each time. If it starts up then, your fuel in the system is draining, Leaking injectors maybe?

1 Like

[SOLVED]

I figured out what it was. Turns out it was a Camshaft Position sensor. I went to the auto parts store, replaced it and it fired right up. Thank you for your help!

1 Like

I WAS WRONG!

Ok, so I changed the sensor. The car fired up fine ALL DAY. Multiple starts and no issues. Went outside this morning, (it was a bit chilly) and the car cranks but won’t start.

I let the fuel pump run for a few seconds with the key in the on position. The engine sputters, but never catches. I crank for about 5-9 seconds. I don’t want to kill my starter but I feel like this isn’t helping it at all.

I suspect my battery, but it doesn’t make much sense. So my next suspect is a fuse, but why this morning on a cold crank? I’m confused and I spent big bucks on this sensor.

I suggest you follow oldtimer’s advice with the starting fluid and report back to us

I attempted the Starter fluid idea. No VROOM. The engine still tries to crank over (rih rih rih type sound).
No chug, no burb, nothing that sounds like a spark or even a hint of it. I hear the fuel pump hum when I turn the key.

I’m having a mechanic look at it in the AM. It is out of my realm of experience with these situations. I will let you know more after its looked at.

As I said, it’s wierd how it didn’t start but after I changed the sensor, it fired right up, and now today dead again. Hopefully It gets figured out.

UPDATE

Had a mechanic look it.

The Sensor is the issue. It’s throwing a code for it. Great.

Hello
What is the sensor name ? Crankcase sensor ? I have the same problem :frowning: