Start-up Problems

I drive a 1996 Subaru Impreza Outback with 190,000 miles on it. My job requires me to drive to many remote rural towns throughout Oregon, and it has recently not been starting well.

Two months ago I had the starter replaced. This didn’t solve the problem. Three weeks ago it begain sporadically failing to start. At first, I thought it was the battery because the battery light came on when the I tried to start the car. I jump started my car and drove it to the shop to check the battery. The battery was fine. The problem increased in frequency and the mechanic couldn’t figure out waht was wrong, but replaced the Cam Crank Sensor.

Since then, it has always started–but it doesn’t do so right away. When I turn the key, there is a metalic grinding noise that lasts briefly (the reason the mechanic replaced the started to begin with). The motor turns over while this noise is emitted. It then takes 2-3 seconds before the engine turns over and the car starts.

What do I need to do to make sure my car is working smoothly and will start reliably??