Sputtering and white smoke and bad smell

My car sputters when I first accelerate after sitting for a minute, it sputters out white smoke that smells bad like burned fluid. I have recently changed my oil and have no mix of coolant and oil. Also did a 3 point check on coolant and no oil mixed in. I replaced the throttlebody recently and this was a problem before i changed it. I have also taken off the egr valve and cleaned it out really well. I replaced the engine filter as well. After it sputters and i able to start driving normally it runs fine. It also runs fine in idle.

What type of Mitsubishi? Engine type, miles on it? Year?

2016 mitsubishi outlander sport 2.0L and has about 91k miles

Are you using either oil or coolant? Any check engine light?

I have a feeling when its blowing smoke that it is burning a little oil each time, but im not sure about that. There was an evap code for minute before i replaced the throttle body but went away after i replaced it.

Code p0442

Coolant leaking into the combustion chamber can produce a white smoke and an Odor.

1 Like

Wouldnt I have coolant in my oil when I changed it? I know a lot can cause that especially a head gasket, but is there something common that can cause that?

Leaking valve guide seals can drip oil into cylinders while idling, then generate smoke while pulling away from a stop.

Would that cause bad acceleration and sputtering? Again this is intermittently it doesnt happen constantly or all the time.

Depends on where the break in the gasket is. But you can pull the plugs and see if one is nice and clean and the others aren’t.

As a a follow on, a cylinder pressure test should tell you if there is a problem cylinder. If there is low pressure it’s the head gasket, valve seating, or rings.