Sputtering 1991 honda accord

I AM STUMPED…THIS 1991 HONDA ACCORD 4 CYL., AUTOMATIC, 100,000+ MILES BASICALLY DEPENDABLE RIDE IS REALLY MAKING ME LOOK DUMB…IT SPUTTERS AT TAKE OFF, OR BASICALLY WHEN IT’S GIVEN GAS…I HAVE CHANGED ALL THE BASIC’S “WIRING, FILTERS”. CAN YA PLEASE HELP ME…

SIGN

DOWN & DESPERATE

Try cleaning iac Idol air control valve and put can of sea foam in tank.
Do search on iac and it will tell how

Thanks, but it still does the sputtering…although not as bad.

Do it again. Use Throttle Body Cleaner on the throttle plate and bore, and spray into the air passages to the iac valve. Let it soak a few minuets, and spray again. Use MAF Cleaner on the MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor. Run engine at fast idle. Results.

Ther are other possibilities besides those mentioned, but the car really needs to be looked at. The '91 was a throttle body injected engine. Anything that inteferes with the ability of the fuel to richen the mix when the throttle is opened will cause a lean-out condition, and that includes items like low fuel pump pressure, a contaminated injector orafice, or even a vacuum leak. In a 17 year old vehicle these are all possibilities. A vacuum leak would not be uncommon, as the rubber vacuum lines become dry and loose and/or cracked.

I think at this point it needs to go to a shop for a good look-see.

Go over the wires, cap and rotor again, make sure that they’re not loose. Go over the vacuum lines as already suggested. Rocketman

In my experience changing old vacuum lines is easier than finding leaks, although it won’t find or fix gasket leaks. It’s dirt-cheap by-the-foot. Just be sure you remove and replace only one line at a time so you don’t mix them up.

Which reminds me, it might not be a bad idea to check the vacuum advance while you’re there. Rev the motor and see if the timing advances.

Between 1500/2000 RPM’s the car is sputtering, but once the car pushes past this the car does excellent…A new motor has been dropped in as well as new computer for the engine and transmission.Any other advice, this problem has been going on for 6 months. Any help would be appreciated.

Here are some instructions to find problems with your Honda: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html Then, click on the appropriate problem.

How’s the idle? Smooth or lumpy? Any tachometer needle twitching? Problem come on all of a sudden or gradual? Any history of timing belt changes?

There’s a reason for the questions. Just trying to glean a bit more info to aid in formulating a wild guess. :-0