Spontaneous car explosion

If you’re happy, that’s all that counts. Good thing it wasn’t your car!

BTW, it’s “I love my city, hon.” Were you here when someone posted a sign on Russell St going into town? The city sign said “Welcome to Baltimore” and he added “Hon”. It was removed several times and he replaced it each time. Eventually, the city threatened to post police to catch Hon-man in the act and arrest him. Sadly, the postings stopped.

Lol no. I’m not a native. But I’ve been here off and on for 12 yrs. this is my longest stretch. 6 yrs. and I’m not planning on going anywhere any time soon. But I haven’t adapted the “hon” or “balmore murlin” lingo yet hahaha. And yes, I’m glad it wasn’t my car too!

I miss local dialects everywhere. My MIL used to call her purse a pockeybook when my wife and her brother were teenagers. They harassed her enough that she stopped. And about the only time I hear a southern accent in South Carolina is when I talk to my 65 year old cousin.

BTW, did you ever wrench you hands in the zinc? Have you been downey eaushen?

Bahahahaa my grandma used to wrench her laundry after she worshed it! Lol I’ve moved around and met some interesting accents. Hills of NC are the best! Baltimore is funny tho. And I have some friends who definitely sound like they’re from dundalk :stuck_out_tongue:

that’s Dundaak, if you please. My wife’s college biff and her dad introduced us (I worked with him).

2 words:
Michael Bay

:stuck_out_tongue:

You got me thinking about regional terminology. One term that has been sneaking into Minnesota and the midwest is calling accidents “wrecks”. That used to be only something you heard in the south. In the north they were always the more refined “accidents”. I think someone decided to push the issue with the media that all accidents are preventable and are therefore wrecks. Just sounds a little course to me and usually people don’t plan to wreck their cars and are therefore accidental-whether careless or not.

Bing…I think the reason we call them car wrecks here in the south is because an accident can mean thousands of different things. A wreck means just one thing…a vehicle(s) wrecked. That’s my take on it anyway.

It’s not the media, actually.
State & Local Governments around the US began using the term “wreck” a few years ago.
Apparently, the term “accident” implies that something is preventable, even if it that is not always the case.

Well whenever I see it I just can’t help putting the southern drawl on it like “rayeck”.

Haha, well, the expression “I caused a wreck” is a much more likely story than “I caused an accident!”

I was just sitting at a red light waiting to turn. A SUV type vehicle was crossing the intersection. It was almost through and I heard a big boom, like it hit another car, saw a big ball of white smoke and watched it come to an immediate stop like it hit a wall, watched pieces of the motor fly everywhere. The whole front end of the car was missing. The driver was thrown from the vehicle about 5 feet and landed on his back. There was no fire at all.
So I just watched a vehicle’s motor spontaneously combust. It is something I will never be able to unsee. My thoughts are that foul play is involved.
I’m still in shock at what I just witnessed !!!
WOW

Do you have a citation, where, when, news article? Seems a little severe for an engine failure unless he was running nitro or something. Good reason to not tailgate.

3 Likes

I expect you are correct JP. Absent an illegal explosive device placed in the engine compartment, that large of an engine-explosion seems unlikely.

A gas leak under the hood could lead to an explosion. A vehicle moving at low speed might not have much air turnover under the hood. If enough gas leaks, evaporates, and stays in place, an explosion could easily blow off the front end of a vehicle. Look at the impressive explosions at top fuel NHRA events. Top fuel engines are a lot more powerful and use nitromethane instead of gasoline, but I think the NHRA example shows what might happen on a very bad day to a car with normal ICE power.

Fuel/air explosions can be very devastating, more so than a bomb. However, they are not spontaneous, they are always triggered, either intentionally or unintentionally. TWA flight 800 is an example of just how devastating a fuel/air explosion can be, it literally shredded the 747. Compare that to the Pan Am 747 that was brought down by a bomb. The Pan Am flight had relatively little damage, just enough so that it couldn’t fly any more. The Pan Am flight actually had some controlled flight for awhile before it started to break up, but it came down in large pieces.

We call that a collision.