Speedometer /odometer not accurate

I PURCHAESD A NEW 07 TOYOTA TACOMA VEHICLE IS TOTALLY STOCK INCLUDING TIRES AND WHEELS,HOWEVER THE SPEEDOMETER AND ODOMETER IS OFF BY 9 % [IT READS FAST] AT FREEWAY SPEEDS 65 MPH WHICH MEANS FOR EVERY 91 MILES I DRIVE ODOMETER REGISTERS 100 MILES. ANY OTHER TOYOTA OWNERS NOTICE THIS PROBLEM?

An error of 9% is too much, bring it back to the dealer and have them correct it. It’s not unusual to have an error of a couple of percent.

IVE BEEN TO DEALERSHIP FOR REPAIRS THEY SAY SPEEDO IS[ WORKING AS DESIGNED] THEY DONT SAY ITS ACCURATE.I AGREE 9% IS NOT EVEN CLOSE

I believe there was something on the news a few months ago about a lawyer that filed suit against toyota for the speedometer being off by so much.

I would keep complaining to the dealer and toyota until they fix it.

I HAVE NOT HEARD OF A LAWSUIT BUT IM THINKING MY VEHICLE IS NOT THE ONLY ONE LIKE THIS .MOST PEOPLE DONT NOTICE . I CHECKED MINE WITH G. P. S. AND THEN TO SPEEDOMETER REPAIR SHOP WHERE THEY CERTIFY SPEEDOMETERS.THE GUY AT SPEEDO SHOP TOLD ME A LOT OF NEW VEHICLES ARE LIKE THIS HE MENTIONED HONDA AS ONE OF THEM. I THINK THEY ARE DOING IT SO YOUR WARRANTY EXPIRES BEFORE IT SHOULD 36000 MILES MINUS 9% =32760 MILES

Exactly. That’s what the lawsuit was about.

It’s quite possible for a speedometer to be wrong by several percent. However, that’s not acceptable on a new vehicle which is under warranty. Toyota should fix it for free.

The odometer is much more likely to be correct. I assume you have compared the odometer to highway mileposts on a reasonably long drive. If you go 91 miles according to the mileposts and the odometer shows 100 miles, there is a big problem. I don’t know if the odometer is driven mechanically or by computer software. For purely mechanical odometers, the only sources of error are the differential gear ratio and tire size. If a computer program is involved, it could be a programming error such as the wrong conversion factor between input pulses and miles.

THE WAY I UNDERSTAND IT IS WHEEL SPEED SENSORS THE SAME SENSORS USED FOR A.B.S BRAKE SYSTEM SEND INFO TO COMPUTER WHICH IS THEN SENT TO SPEEDO AND ODOMETER.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/13/earlyshow/main2562144.shtml?source=RSS&attr=_2562144

One lawsuit on odometer error and warranty coverage.

It is normal for the speedometer to be optimistic by about 5%. However the odometer should be very close. There will be some change as the tyres wear, but it should be a whole lot closer than you indicate. That should be corrected under the warranty.

I wouldn’t call that “normal” but many do read high (until you have them properly calibrated). I might live with 2%, not 5% or greater.

THANKYOU JOSEPH MEEHAN FOR THAT LINK THAT IS A VERY INTERESTING STORY

I had a brand new 84 Mazda which was off by 5.5%. I pushed the issue all the way up to the US Mazda technical support offices. Their official statement was that any tolerance within +/- 7% was “normal and acceptable”. I wasn’t happy, but it was clear they weren’t going to do anything about it.

JOE MARIO CLICK ON THE LINK THAT JOSEPH MEEHAN PUT IN HIS COMMENT I THINK YOU WILL FIND ARTICLE VERY INTERESTING I HAVE ALREADY MADE CONTACT WITH ATTORNEY THEY REFER TO IN ARTICLE