Speedometer needle pegs on start-up

Every now and then, when I start my car, the speedometer needle pegs completely to the right and then settles down and acts normally. Why does this happen and what does it indicate? The car is a 1995 Chrysler Concorde. Thank you!

Like many gauges today your speedometer is a digital indicator that is driven by the computer. For reasons unknown to me many digital gauges make a full sweep and return to Zero when the engine is started.

Thanks for the info. It’s just odd that it does it only intermittently.

I had the same situation with a 2000 Ford Windstar, The frequency of this problem increased. At the same time, I noticed that the engine cranked more slowly. I replaced the battery and the problem was solved. You may want to have your battery load tested.

Mine does this. I’ve found the protocol to reprogram the computer so that it doesn’t, but I can’t be bothered. It does no harm.

My dad’s Pontiac does this–it seems to be programmed that way. Scares the @#%&* out of me because long ago on a very cold morning I had the carb/butterfly valve/throttle stick and nearly blew up a different car!

A 1995 shouldn’t be programmed to do this. It may be a glitch with the gauge cluster. But it shouldn’t harm anything. I’d just ignore it.