Spark plugs

I HAVE A 2002 SATURN VUE, V-6 WITH 55,000 MILES…

SHOULD I CHECK AND CLEAN MY PLUGS NOW…OR JUST REPLACE THEM…OR JUST WAIT FOR A 100,000 MILE TUNE UP AND REPLACE THEM… ???

Check the Owner’s Manual. If it says 100,000 miles the choice is yours, however do not clean them…just replace them.

There are a few reasons for this. First and foremost, if they’re 100,000 mile plugs that means the electrodes are irridium. Irridium is much harder than platinum, the electrodes will be much smaller diameter, and for both these reasons the plugs are not cleanable.

Second, the metal washers at the base of plugs are designed to crush and mate with the corresponding surfaces, seal, and never be used again. That would be true even of you had platinum plugs. We used to clean, regap, and reinstall plugs years ago, but it was never really the right thing to do.

And now, a reason to go ahead and replace them even of the manual says 100,000 miles…sometimes after 100,000 miles they can be stuck in the holes.

• mountainbike

Personally I would do it myself. Doing it yourself the cost is minimal and you help eliminate the possibility that at 100,000 miles they plugs will be frozen in there and not want to come out at all.

Buy a set of the OEM plugs and do it yourself.