Spark plug wire, ignition coil replacement schedule

How often should I change my spark plug wire? Ignition coil? My car has no distributor cap. It has ignition coils.

What car? Year? Motor? Can’t answer your question with the info given. Some cars have a coil for each cylinder. Some (Toyota V6 circa 2000) use one coil for 2 cylinders a coil will fire a cylinder on the front of the motor and a cylinder on the rear bank. There is no plug wire for the front cylinder, but there is a plug wire for the rear one on this motor. Therefore more info needed to give you any kind of decent answer.

You might want to change the plug wires at the 90K-100K (or thereabouts) spark plug replacement, just because at that age you stand the chance of breaking them while removing them. Other than that, plug wires and ignition coils should be changed when they don’t work anymore.

You change them when you have a problem with them.

If it has COPS, then there are no ignition wires… Each plug has its own coil. As Keith said, you change them when you must change them…

You might want to change the plug wires at the 90K-100K (or thereabouts) spark plug replacement

Without knowing the specific vehicle…the 90k interval may or may not be right. My 4runner came with conventional plugs (i.e. Copper) and coil on wire setup. Plug replacement is 40-60k miles. If I were to use Platinum or iridium…then the 90k would be appropriate.