Spark plug possibly broke off in engine

Hey all, driving back to Ohio from Georgia. 1994 f150 with 96,000 miles and haven’t had much trouble with it prior. At first I heard a minor clicking like noise in the highway, turned down my radio, then a minute later, heard a loud DDDDDDDDDDD and pulled over. As I pulled over the noise slowed down. Opened the hood and noticed a spark plug was broken off. The actual head was broke. I’m sleeping at a rest stop now, planning to change my spark plugs in the morning. But I’m wondering if that initial clicking sound was a piece of my spark plug in the engine. I really don’t know much about cars but have been researching this problem online. And it seems if part of the plug broke off into the engine, it’s a big problem.

Basically, it’s that initial clicking I heard which caused me to turn down the radio. If there was a piece broken into the engine, do you think I’d be able to hear it?

Thanks in advance

I have a feeling your spark plug actually blew out

If so, you’ll need to get some new threads in there . . . helicoil or timesert, for example

1 Like

Some Ford’s with aluminum heads have this as a known problem. First a clicking sound is heard, then plug blows out. There is a TSB on it but no recalls.