Sordid Tale of a "Service Engine" Light

The thread was continued here, but after 42 more posts the problem was still not resolved. The OP came back in June 2011 with another problem, but hasn’t been seen since.

I’ve never done it but have been tempted a few time to take a box of shotgun shells and have at it to end the issue. Comes a point when $100 from the local junkyard and free pick up is a very profitable relief.

Sorry, it has been too long ago for me to recall any of this thread. I read a pretty good portion of the first part of the thread but don’t recall any of it.

1 Like

Wow, surprised to see that there was still a post on this just a few months ago. Anyhoooooooooo I recently had my 2000 Miata, have it “Check Engine Light,” come on, while around 50 miles from home, but ran perfect, no problem with power or anything. I had hoped that my across the street neighbor was home, a mechanic type, with his own code reader, who could have told me, WHY, and reset it. He was not home so I used an OLD past work around trick, I lifted the negative side of the battery, resetting the entire computer, and have driven it near 60 miles and it has not come back on, the vehicle just having around 55K original miles. I used to own a 1980 Dodge Colt that had its’ lite come on occasionally, and I’d do the same trick, the car then running real rough for its’ next 30 or so miles, but then would straighten out and never one time failed smog. I also have a 94 Chevy S10 PU, that recently just turned 60K original miles that also on occasion will have its’ lite come on, but stays off, upon the next start up, also never failing smog. OH yeah, and I always check the GAS CAP, LOL

P.S. Update, the light has not come back on again yet, LOL, must have been a computer FART :slight_smile:

Why do folks still recommend this when you can get a proper mechanic’s stethoscope from Amazon for 9 bucks?