Some Americans are thinking of giving up driving b/c it costs too much

Where I live there is no practical option to driving a car. No public transportation, and snow and ice for 4 months every year. I think scooter cars like the Isetta and Messerschmitt need to make a comeback.

1 Like

Here’s a link to several Low Speed Vehicles (LSVs) that are street legal and mostly currently sold in the US.

https://electrek.co/2023/06/09/best-street-legal-electric-micro-cars-nevs-and-lsvs-you-can-buy-in-the-us/

Electric is probably fine for many uses but they’re pretty expensive and very low speed. A 3 wheeled vehicle is considered a motorcycle in the state where I live so is cheaper to license and insure, plus it doesn’t have to meet all the safety and emission standards for cars. I would like a tadpole 3 wheeler with a gas engine, a heater and AC. The old Messerschmitt 200cc could do almost 70 mph. If there was something similar for around $5k new I think it would sell.

Just the ‘car’ for you:

Good job 1st post and already flagged enough to get it hidden. BRAVO !

1 Like

LSVs are not licensed as standard automobiles and don’t have to meet the usual safety standards for registration. One look at any of them shows that they are only meant for low speed use. My wife could have used one to commute the 2 miles to work in our neighborhood but I never could have commute with a LSV. They would be good for shopping trips to local stores though.

A new Honda scooter with 157 cc engine is $5000. A three wheeled car with a proper cabin and air conditioning would be close to $20,000.

1 Like

If you really want or need a little puddle jumper, look at an atv. On outdoors with the Morgan’s he bought a nice 4 seater with ac and heat. I would not think a three wheeler anything is safe.

I wish we had the option of viewing a flagged post.

I flagged it, it was some spam for truck driving school with links.

2 Likes

The Slingshot appears to be fairly safe. But I would rather have a convertible with AC.

Thank you. Yep, spam, other than the kind you eat, should be flagged.

What’s the definition of “spam”? How would you determine if a post is spam or not? I wouldn’t want to see posts removed just b/c someone says they are spam, but the actual reason is that they want to annoy the poster.

Have you never heard of Google and I doubt anyone is Flagging a post as Spam that is not Spam.

1 Like

Staff will look at the flagged post and either delete it or decide it’s OK and remove the flag.

1 Like

What’s your opinion? Would a post asking if it is advisable to pro-actively replace flexible brake hoses be spam? Would that be considered an advertisement for companies that make or sell flexible brake hoses?

No, and neither would someone posting links to a recommended replacement part.

But the post I flagged was a first time poster with something to do with truck driving school with links to their site, nothing to do with the topic.

And the staff here will decide if the post should be deleted or if it’s ok and remove the flag and make it visible to everybody.

2 Likes

I googled the link (copy and pasted from OPs profile) and it was about being the best oil change place for 18 wheelers… it has nothing to do this thread or forum… It was an advertisement - SPAM…

2 Likes

If it asked as a question for discussion then no , but if a link to a business that sells brake lines is included then it will most likely get Flagged as Spam.

That is a yes or no possibility. How many times are NAPA, RockAuto, or Tirerack mentioned.

2 Likes