[SOLVED] Code P0455 - Car is hard to start after filling up gas tank

Unfortunately I am that gullible.

The dealership doesn’t really have an in house mechanic. They use mechanics in the area. Licensed mechanics but NOT Mitsubishi mechanics.

The first time when I brought the car, they sent me to Mechanic A. He said he didn’t really have the time to fill out the gas tank after each “repair”. So, I did it myself. Both failed. The third time, the dealership sent me to another mechanic, mechanic B. Supposedly this time they did fill up the gas tank twice and both times the car started fine. As soon as I got the car back, I tried myself and as you know, it failed.

UPDATE!

This morning, I stopped by another mechanic by my house. He too was preplexed by my issue. So, I finally bit the bullet and drove to the first mechanic who found out about the P0455 code. The reason, I didn’t give them a second visit was because they are insanely busy and it takes a half an hour drive.

I went there, and they suggested an EVAP test… They inspected the car for about an hour (fuel/sensors/etc) or soand… the problem is… The purge vacuum hoses were not properly attached.!!!

I put 3 gallons into the car after they fixed this and my car started fine!!! no hiccups/hard start!!

Moreover, the mechanic also found out my dealership never replaced the purge valve even though they said they did!

They did mention however the P0455 code might not have anything to do with this and since the dealership’s mechanic erased the code and their scan gave them no issues for everything (sensors/codes reading), i should be okay.

They didn’t do EVAP test in the end as they thought it was unnecessary. $150 for an hour+ inspection. I was there for 4 hours (waiting time) but it’s worth it!

Anyway I am going forward with my DMV complaint, the dmv agent also found several violations in the way the dealership handled my purchase and repair paperworks.

Unfortunately the dmv told me I can’t ask for reimbursement for the $150.

Thanks guys!

EDIT:

Pics if anyone interested in seeing the hoses. Maybe this will help someone else in the future.

Good for you. Persistence pays off. I had a problem sort of the opposite of that years, the shop said they hadn’t replaced something, when they clearly had. Be sure to tell the manager at the shop that said they had replaced the purge valve. It may be the tech there isn’t being careful enough in his repair methodology. The manager needs to know that. And the tech owes you an apology.

1 Like

Me too.

Unfortunately the owner of the dealership is not a very nice man either. They stopped responding to me and I have stopped trying to work with them. Hence, the complaint with the DMV. The mechanic is not an in-house mechanic either, he only works on what he’s told by the dealership. (Dealership tells them to do A, they do A. No more. No less). This is also why he refused to perform any diagnostic tests I requested (which would have found the problem sooner)

My complaint is being processed by the DMV and they are currently investigating this. As stated in my previous post. The DMV representative told me they have found several violations with the way they handled my paperworks and repairs. The dealership should at least be getting a warning or worse their temporary registration issuance privilege revoked which ultimately will hurt their business.

Again, thanks to everyone esp you George for being patient with my super limited car knowledge

The dealership gets a bit of a comeuppance anyway. Replacing the fuel pump was an expensive job for them to have to pay for, and totally unnecessary. Especially so when a simple inspection of the evap canister connections would have discovered the problem.

My mechanic didn’t check the fuel pump this morning as they would have to spend more time and I was already late to work.

They confirmed the purge valve was not replaced. They confirmed they replaced my rack and pinion (steering wheel noise) with a USED rack and pinion.

They also confirmed the brake/rotor needs to be replaced because of the noise. but DMV has to determine if it’s “bad” enough to fail inspection. If it is, they will have to replace them, if not, then I have to replace them myself.

The dealership gets a bit of a comeuppance anyway.

They’re getting what they deserve. When first I brought this up to their attention, i specifically asked them for a diagnostic test. but no, they just wanted to replace this part and that part. but yeah at least they had to pay for the labor fees to the mechanic.