Sold a car with a lien, trying to fix it where they will be able to get the title in their name

So, did the buyer keep the car? Or, did you have to make the trip and pick it up?

They haven’t contacted me since yesterday, telling me I had to drop the release off at a certain time.

You can NOT get a loan on anything (car, house…etc) if there’s a lien against it. It happens a lot more often with homes where a contractor will add a lien on a house for any unpaid work. On a car if you have any mechanical work done and if you don’t pay for it…the mechanic can put a mechanic lien of the vehicle (just like a mechanic lien on a house). No bank will give a loan on a car that has a mechanics lien on it.

Mike, I think he meant that he got a small loan for something and used the car as collateral. Not totally out of the ordinary. It wasn’t really for the car. Terms get kind of thrown around.

Mike, I think he meant that he got a small loan for something and used the car as collateral.

I wasn’t sure HOW he got the lien. All I know is if there’s a lien on the vehicle then you have to pay off that lien BEFORE you can refinance the vehicle. Mechanics lien is common.