Snow tires are better than having AWD/4WD

I’ll take 4WD over FWD/RWD w/snow tires every time. My old 1995 Bronco shod with Goodyear MT/R tires was nigh unstoppable in the snow.

If I lived somewhere that warranted an extra set of winter tires, I’d be putting them on an AWD car, given the choice.

I'll take 4WD over FWD/RWD w/snow tires every time. My old 1995 Bronco shod with Goodyear MT/R tires was nigh unstoppable in the snow.
I think I would prefer a vehicle that isn't "unstoppable."

I don’t think you can choose one or the other and suggest that one choice is better under all conditions than the alternative.

4wd rules. eom.

FoDaddy brings up the interesting point. As far as snow is concerned, All Terrain and some aggressive tread tires are every bit as good as winter tires in snow.

Also, every tire test I have seen, still ranks awd with decent all seasons better then fwd with winter tires for acceleration in snow. Turning and stopping, no. But they will go when fwd can’t, even with the best winter tires available. So, this bit about 2wd with winter tires always being superior to awd without, just isn’t always true IMO.
L
Where I live, I couldn’t get out in the winter with a fwd car with studded winter tires, yet could easily with 4wd and decent all terrains and even new all seasons. Not even close. Total performance in cluding stopping and steering control is definitely enhanced with snow tires on any car and on awd, untouchable.

I’d agree that a front wheel drive with snow tires – esp if they are the kind with the little steel cleats in them – is better than 4WD equipped with all-season tires. 4WD with all four snow tires is considerably better though, esp in deeper snow and steeper hills.

For two wheel up hill driving (like for going skiing), the better configuration is a car w/rear wheel drive and the engine in the rear. This is because when you are going uphill, the weight is shifted to the back, away from the front wheels. People who lived in Colorada where I lived at the time and had to get to work early (like the ski lift operators, etc) before the roads were plowed often drove VW Beetles for this reason.

Ya know I lived without 4wd until 4 years ago. I had rwd and fwd american vehicles with and without snow tires. I made it through every winter, some slipping and sliding included, now I am here to tell ya there is no comparison! a tailblazer with 4wd as needed and otherwise it is in 2wd. Sure I can see the handling questions, but not my worry. Sure it does not stop any faster, but again not my worry. I would not be reluctant to go back to 2wd, but would miss 4wd for sure.

If having AWD makes drivers overconfident, and IMO it often does, then it is bad for the driver and the people that have to share the road with them.

I have 4wd and am NOT overconfident. I do agree I’ve seen people who are far overconfident and end up in trouble. But that doesn’t mean we all are. If it’s bad enough to be in 4wd then I’m driving below the speed limit.

For many years I lived and drove in the Berkshire foothills and for a time made frequent forays to Canada.

While that area does get decent amount of snow…try the Great Lakes region between Syracuse and the Canada border…Then come back and talk about snow. That area will see 4-5 times the amount of snow the Berkshires see on it’s worse ever winter.