Smooth ride required

I am 65 & have developed a serious case of cervical spine degeneration. I need to find a car with the smoothest ride possible. Any suggestions?

There will not be much difference on the ride of everyday passenger cars. Sport types yes . But you are just going to have to test drive until you find what works for you. The way the seats fit you is the most important factor.

1 Like

Maybe something like the Buick LaCrosse or Hyundai Azera, or Ford Taurus, Chevy Impala, Chrysler 300, or Toyota Avalon. All of those have pretty smooth rides.

1 Like

It’s impossible for me or anyone else to tell you what’s confortable for YOU. What may be comfortable for me may be horrible for you.

Agree with FoDaddy. The Buick has a very smooth and soft ride; my 83 year old brother in law swears by them. My personal choice would be the Avalon; it’s very reliable and long lasting as well.

As others have said, you just have to try out different cars to find the car most comfortable for you. For me, it is the shape of the seats and the driving position that makes a vehicle comfortable and is more important than the smoothness of the ride. For example, we once owned a 1993 Oldsmobile 88 with all the bells and whistles. Even though it seemed to provide a very smooth ride, after 50 miles, my legs were cramped and my back bothered me. We found our 1990 Ford Aerostar Eddie Bauer much more comfortable on trips because the seats were more supportive. The Oldsmobile was replaced with a Toyota 4Runner. For the first block, the 4Runmer seems to ride about as smoothly as a wheelbarrow. However, I can drive the 350 mile trip to visit our son and.feel refreshed. For me, a steady ride and supportive seats make a vehicle comfortable.

I’ve found a huge difference in the ride of everyday passenger cars by different makers… but I wholeheartedly agree that test driving extensively is the solution. In '05 I bought a new Corolla… after a few test drives and letting my “analytical” brain half steer the decision. After only two months, the seats, seating position, and ride had exacerbated my bad back to the point where I was becoming unable to go anywhere without horrible, disabling pain. I traded it after two months for my '05 Scion tC, a dramatic difference in ride and seating position, and I’ve driven it 240,000+ miles now without a hint of pain from driving. I lost $3500 on the trade, but I “wrote it off” mentally as a health expense… which it really was. :kissing_closed_eyes:

If you have around $50,000, take a look at the Cadillac CT6. Very smooth, very quiet.

Consumer Reports rates Ride/Noise and Seat Comfort Front/Rear in the cars they test. Each year their April issue is all about cars;

I had a 2013 Rav4. Don’t get one. Chrysler and Dodge seats have been pretty good over the years. I have a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan now and the seats are Good and it rides OK for a minivan. The higher priced models of medium sized SUVs were darn good ten years ago when I last sat in one. Good seats and ride.

Try the Lexus LS460L with the Ultra luxury package. Hire a driver and ride in the back on the heated and cooled reclining and massaging rear seats. Only $88,165.

Try a Toyota Camry with leather seats.

What’s your budget?

Recently took a 300C on a 6500 cross country trip. Best and comfortable experience I have ever had in a car. (almost as comfortable as driving an 18-wheeler for 11 hours a day)

big variance ok: $10,000 - $90,000

Don’t rule out crossover vehicles (CUV). Too many “luxury” cars use 17" or larger wheels with very low profile tires. These are inherently rougher riding as they don’t have very much give in the sidewall area.

It seems that the manufacturers are putting more effort into ride, noise and comfort in the CUV segment as it is more profitable. They mostly use higher profile tires, but not all.

Its the seats that will make or break you though.

+1
And, the difference between the ‘standard’ seats and the seats in the higher trim models can frequently be…vastly different…when it comes to comfort.

The smoothest riding car I’ve ever ridden in was a Citroeon. And wow, was it ever smooth. No comparison to any of the American car’s I’ve ever experienced. But that was in the early 70’s, so the suspension design may have changed by now. But if they still make a car with that suspension, that’s what I’d try to buy with the OP’s situation. And maybe it will actually be possible to do that without jumping through a lot of hoops to import a car, here’s a report Citroen may be coming to America.

FWIW . . .

When I was still living in Germany, the auto magazines consistently blasted French cars for their lousy seats

If they want to return to the US, they’ll have to beef up their seats for the average large driver, and also make them more comfortable

Slim chance the Citroen will be here any time soon, and I wouldn’t buy one if it was. Tiny sales and support, I’d imagine.