SMH..Started car with no oil in it, it ran for 3 - 4 seconds! Is it ok?!

I think that might work in your favor. Cold oil is thicker than hot oil, so more was left behind, clinging to metal parts.

GTTS? :tshirt:

CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

1 Like

When you consider that when changing the oil the engine runs more than 3 seconds before the oil pump can fill the filter and get oil pressure at the crankshaft it might be beneficial to change oil less often to avoid such wear. I will jump on board and agree with the general consensus here.

Let me share my ā€œforgot to put oil inā€ story.
I used to have 1996 Subaru Legacy (loved that car!).
Bought that car with credit card swipe since at its 115K miles it looked to have the engine problem and I was gonna use it as a project car and tear that boxer engine heads as I thought that valves need to be fixed (low compression on one side).
Anyways, somewhere in the middle of removing parts I found that whoever worked on the [spanking new] timing belt made a mistake and put it with one tooth skipped on one side.
By this point engine was already drained of oil, but in rush I forgot about itā€¦
ā€¦so I corrected timing and fired it up!
It went on silky smooth, I could not believe it was that small mistake on whoever did the timing belt job and got me a great car for literally bottom priceā€¦
and then after running it for 30-40 seconds of so I found that oil pressure bulb is NOT getting offā€¦
Shut the engine down, put the oil in, started it off again, oil pressure was back in place, but I was in cold sweat.
Anyways, I ran that car until 160 or 170 K miles before selling it private party for twice I paid for it, probably will never have such a deal in my life :slight_smile:
Engine kept running great, no bad effects from my mishap.

4 Likes

howd the engine not grenade running it with no oil for 30 to 40 seconds?

@eddo shared a story above he knows from experience that 3/4 miles of DRIVING was enough to kill the engine, so running for 30-40 seconds with no load was probably much less than that

Iā€™m sure I robbed the engine of some life, but it was far from getting noticeable

1 Like

ā€œAnd evidently im an idiot!ā€ If that makes it on your list of to 10 most idiotic things for the year, youā€™re leading a charmed life. I seriously doubt this will have any effect on your lifestyle ā€“ other than now having a very cool story to tell. :smile:

My late father-in-law could attest that running a car without any oil will destroy the engine in 5-7 miles. This was a Buick V8 wagon which had its oil changed by a large department storeā€™s auto center.

2yrs old. 8k miles. you have a warranty? are you going to tell the dealer what you did? i prefer to let the dealer do oil changes during warranty period. they charge 25-30$ for my honda w/syn oil so its good.

1 Like

Yeah, I also had that thought, but I didnā€™t want to derail the conversation. Itā€™s pretty much wrapped up now, so we might as well discuss it.

My personal policy is to get my oil changed at a dealership during the factory warranty period. Itā€™s was only $25 when that applied to my current car. Iā€™ve been doing my own oil changes since 2003 though, so I have no idea what it costs now.

According to OLM you should be on 2nd oil change.

Donā€™t know how old ur post is, but the way u wrote that made me bust out laughing! I think ur car will be fine too. Itā€™would most likely be making that horrible metal against metal shriek noise. Iā€™ll know it when ur hear it. No joke.
So , still curious, uve driven it since u wrote this ? Ur car did ok? Let us know lol.
Take care and donā€™t do that again lol. :slight_smile:

Sharin , is it too much trouble to actually use real words ?

3 Likes

yeah its been about 250 miles later and shes still running strong. i guess i got lucky this time!

ā€¦and stay off his lawn!

If you can read it, they are real words, just new spellings. Keep in mind all words are made up, and standard spelling conventions have only existed for a short time in historical context.