Smelly heater on Long Island

On today’s show, there was a caller who reported that his heater was suddenly putting out a “vomit” like smell. The Brothers decided it was a dead mouse or other critter in the ductwork somewhere.

One thing troubles me with this diagnosis: the caller insisted that it didn’t smell like a decaying animal, which he’s familiar with. I’m wondering if the Brothers should have asked him if it was a somewhat “sickly sweet” smell. That would fit with a heater core that’s suddenly leaking. I would call decaying flesh a “sickly sour” smell. What do you all think?

When the heater core is leaking material is deposited on the inside of the windshield,like a film,if it is present theres your confirmation.

We agree with you MrPhil; the boys are wrong about this one and we know what really did cause the smell: Ginko tree seeds. Daniel was removing leaves and debris from under his hood and among that debris were Ginko seeds. They have a pulpy, viscous sack around them and if disturbed, wreak exactly like human vomit, and we mean wreak! Daniel inadvertently mashed one or two into his air intake duct and voila!

regards,
emandem