Smart's fourtwo

Nothing wrong with the Miata, except your CPA probably does drive one (if he’s over 50 and can’t afford a porsche), it’s just a different type of toy. Personally, that’s what I use my motorcycle for, but I do have a fondness for anything a little quirky. I will probably find them less interesting if/when they become common.

A CPA could afford a Miata? :stuck_out_tongue:
speaking of quirky, if the seats weren’t so uncomfortable, the Mini Cooper would still be on my list of possible cars. So far, the only car’s I’ve sat in that feel really comfortable are an Acura RL(~$50k) and a Charger SRT-8(~$40k), even the new 08 Accord wasn’t all that comfortable, and even with the seat all the way back, my legs were still kinda cramped(large car my eye).

Someone say Used Miata? I happen to have a 1990 single owner (me) one. Can’t drive it now because I need a knee replacement.

I didn’t know that you were a CPA! ;^)

Not a CPA, thank goodness, and fyi, the seats are very comfortable.

I’ve tried sitting in the older Miatas, but none have had the legroom for me, only the 07 model so far.

Hmmm - I made my reservation in September 07 and am in my more serious research stage, including talking to the sales person in Lynnfield, MA (200 miles away!). My attraction to a Smart is 1) it’s cool 2) the only way to get a new convertible that gets 40mpg for only $17K.
My daily commute is 4 miles but with longer trips I do 20,000 mi/yr in my aging 2000 Honda Insight. I’ve gotten used to driving a 2 seater stick shift with hard handling, 86 combined horsepower, and no cruise control, most of the time. I don’t get to play outdoors a lot so I would love to drive with the top down as much as possible.
Safety concerns - I’ve watched the crash test videos, the Smart would improve on the Insight with side air bags and stability control, but I’d lose some of the front & rear crumple zones that slow the impact forces.
Space concerns - if I had another person in the car with me, certain trips would become impossible (compared to the Insight’s relatively roomy hatch space). It would be tough to transport my mother-in-law AND her wheelchair! I would have to not allow clutter to pile up in the car.
Reliability concerns - I’d do the oil changes myself, and buy the technical manuals for the very smart mechanic up the road, and probably keep our aging '01 Prius for a backup.
Winter driving concerns - I’d get studded snow tires for winter and avoid driving in blizzards, like I already do.
MPG concerns - I would get less mpg than my current 56.1 lifetime average, but the fun factor would more than make up.
Creature comforts - compared to the Insight, for a small price premium I could have heated seats, an MP3 player jack, 3 more speakers incl. subwoofer, auto-manual transmission, better visibility due to higher seating position, and a car that is new to me.

I’d love to hear from anyone who drives a 2008 Smart ForTwo!
Eric in Enfield, Maine

Oh, I see… (in reference to my comment over at the the 3-clyinder thread)

It probably has much lower maintenance costs than just about any motorcycle worth owning. Now if it really had a motorcycle engine, let’s say the 167 horsepower Suzuki Hayabusa engine in it, that would be quite interesting.

Surely you’ve seen the “Smartuki”!!