Smart Lemon

My 2008 Smart fortwo has been at the dealership for a month- they can not figure out what is wrong with it. It shut down one day while driving and won’t start. It has 55,000 miles. They tried replacing the SAM and the control module for the transmission. Neither of these fixed the problem. We’ve had other major problems over the last 2 years, including replacing the motor and other transmission problems. I would like to know what my rights are, if any, and what i can do. I think this car is a lemon. Please help!

Well, lemon laws are state laws, and since we don’t know what state you live in. . .

I live in MA and I believe the lemon law only applies to vehicles bought within 1 year or 15,000 miles. I am looking for other suggestions on what to do. What if another month goes by and they haven’t repaired it?

Still under warranty, correct? I’d elevate to the regional office, ask for their help.

There’s the law. You are correct, the problems must occur within 1 year or 15,000 miles to qualify for the MA lemon law to kick in. If the dealer tried to fix a “substantial flaw” at least 3 times within 1 year or 15,000 miles you qualify. Even after 2 years. The last attempt does not have to take place in that time frame. Just the first 3.

I’d like to hear the story behind the engine failure.

Sorry, you’re stuck with it.

Just let them fix the issues, and then put a For Sale sign on it, and some other sucker, I mean extremely small car enthusiast will come along, and very happily buy it from you.

BC.