Small transmission leak

Am hoping to keep my car for 1-2 more years (it’s 13 1/2 years old, 105K miles, runs well, few repairs). There is a small transmission leak that started in fall, stopped in winter, but I fear may start up again in warmer weather. As I do not drive far or much, I’d like to not repair this and keep it going with a stop leak product, but I have read that I should not use one with additives. Any suggestions? Recommendations? Just don’t want to put more money into an old car when it’s had a couple costly things done already in 2010 and do not want to get in that vicious cycle of trying to save it when I plan on getting rid of it in 1-2 years. Thank you.

I have had excellent results with transmission seal conditioners. They soften the seals just enough so the leak stops…Starting the process with fresh fluid helps too…Choose a quality brand-name product and read the label on the can…

There are a number of places that can leak transmission fluid. Not all of them are difficult or expensive to fix. Do yourself a favor and at least find out what is leaking before you go dumping any junk in there.

Definitely find out whats leaking. Do not attempt to keep it rolling on stop leak products. Stop leaks are designed for emergency, get me to the nearest shop use only.

transman

That small leak can kill the transmission if you’re not careful. Sometimes those little things can get away from someone very quickly.

Many transmission leaks are not that major a fix other than a torque converter seal. (Assuming, right or wrong, that it’s an automatic transmission.)

I’d get the trans looked at before blindly deciding not to fix it. I’m also not a fan of stop leak products and find that in most cases they do not work well or at all.
If it’s a torque converter seal and you don’t want that expense then carry extra fluid and get in the habit of inspecting and topping off the fluid as often as necessary.

That small leak can kill the transmission if you’re not careful. Sometimes those little things can get away from someone very quickly.

Many transmission leaks are not that major a fix other than a torque converter seal. (Assuming, right or wrong, that it’s an automatic transmission.)

I’d get the trans looked at before blindly deciding not to fix it. I’m also not a fan of stop leak products and find that in most cases they do not work well or at all.
If it’s a torque converter seal and you don’t want that expense then carry extra fluid and get in the habit of inspecting and topping off the fluid as often as necessary.

Another PC hiccup and double post. Pardon the clutter. :slight_smile: