Sketchy Mechanic

@meganareia

“He’s also trying to claim now that he was never told to get a factory part.”

It sounds like this guy doesn’t want to admit to anything at this point

This guy definitely has communication problems, among others, from the sound of it

If your aunt and uncle have been using this guy then odds are he’s done a poor job for them before. They have just never caught onto it yet.

He sounds like a guy I used to work with who went off on his own in the early 80s. He became very successful with his junkyard shop and was swamped with work constantly.
However, he cobbled together everything that came through the door and in many cases just downright screwed people over intentionally. Everybody liked him no matter what so many came back for a second helping, or a third, or a fourth.
He was buried in work right up to the time passed away in 2011.

@ok4450

People did not know the guy wasn’t doing right by them?

Did the guy have a “winning” personality?

Just a couple of comments … first, anytime replacing an engine there are bound to be some problems. You just got to keep working on them. One common problem is incompatibility of the ECM software. Unless that is all spot on configuration-wise, with the sensors, etc , it’s quite likely the engine won’t ever perform correctly. Can be verified, just has to be checked step by step.

About the compression w/altitude … I lived at 6,000 feet in Colorado and here at sea level, noticed on my Ford truck which I had at both locations, I had a compression of 130 in Colorado and 155 here at sea level.

@db4690, yes the guy has a personality that people like. You meet him, you like him. He even screwed over a cousin of mine who lived close to him and the screwing was pointed out by me to my cousin. So what did the cousin do? Goes back to him repeatedly after that.

He even screwed me over once while we worked for the same Subaru dealership by sabotaging a warranty engine repair I had just completed. I headed out the next week to a Subaru service school and the drain plug was loosened while I was gone and before the customer picked the car up. The service manager and dealership owner both were thoroughly convinced the guy did it based on his actions at the time. It definitely was no screw-up on my part.

Anytime I do engine work the car is test driven and put back on the rack for a follow-up; checking for leaks, rechecking oil pan bolts, drain plugs, and so on.
Sad thing is, I like the guy and we were friends up to the time he passed away. Go figure.

Would I let him touch any car of mine? Not in a million years…

Dan gets his engines from here: http://enginesus.com/inside.html

I apologize that my post is lengthy, but I appreciate you reading and responding!

Dan gets his engines from here: http://enginesus.com/inside.html

I apologize that my post is lengthy, but I appreciate you reading and responding!