Simplest car w/ fewest gadgets?

Better still, an authentic VW beetle (not a super beetle) without fuel injection or an electronic ignition. Make sure it is completely rust free. You can buy a pretty nice one (not show condition) for about $5000 around here, maybe $8000 for a good convertible. One of these days I’m going to grab one just to play with. I was trying to get my 16 year old interested in a convertible, but she doesn’t get it (kids today?).

My wife bought herself a 2008 Camry LE a while back, and I hated it from day one because it was so complicated. At about the same time, my 1991 Toyota MR2 began to have unnecessary gadgets fail. I realized that I liked simple cars with less to go wrong. I asked myself “what’s the simplest car around?” and immediately answered myself “a Lotus 7”. I didn’t know much about Lotus 7s at the time, but I had seen one at an autocross some years ago, and the car had NOTHING that wasn’t absolutely essential. I started to investigate, and came upon a company in Florida making an American replica of the 7, using contemporary parts, with GM running gear. Look at BruntonAuto.Com. I went down to Brunton and drove the yellow/black car on their website, and it was absolutely the most fun to drive. About twenty times more fun as my MR2, which is about as much fun as a Miata. To make a long story short, I just bought a 2 year old Brunton Stalker on EBay, but it has not yet not been delivered.

As far as safety is concerned, you have to think a bit unconventionally. In keeping with simplicity as a doctrine, do not think of of airbags and other electronic gadgetry. Think of brakes that will stop you in less distance than any car on the road, except another Lotus seven, super precise steering, a 4, 5 , or 6 point harness, a fuel cell instead of a gas tank, a real 4 point (not cosmetic) roll bar, and so on.

Can’t wait to get it!

BIG FOOT power wheels model. circca 1978

green machine,or Big wheel

power wheels BIG FOOT edition,circca 1978,smog free

Personally I think that’s like asking for a good ole basic TV set without all the electronic controls and transistors-just tubes and manual tuner like the old days. Who would want that? And the reliability and cost of the current models are far superior.

Noting wrong with electronics if you get rid of it before the wire harnesses and gremlins start to set in.

Simplest car? Model T Ford. very basic.

“Noting wrong with electronics if you get rid of it before the wire harnesses and gremlins start to set in.”

Exactly, modern cars are very capable, and very disposable (just like modern consumer electronics).

Go talk to an audiophile and ask him if his amplifier has transistors or tubes.

Simpler = Better.