Side view mirrors - why no nighttime position?

The you can get the glare from a wider angle, and longer duration. Yippee

1 Like

these small mirrors are not flat, so they reflect not much glare to compare to bigger flat left mirror, simply no comparison

now, in the infinite wisdom, Nissan equipped older generation of Pathfinder with relatively small left mirror, which is simply not enough to give you an idea whatā€™s going on on that side, so these small ā€œmirrorletsā€ help a lot

Very rare do I have a problem with the side mirror, as stated above, I just avert my eyes for a fraction of a second.
Recently though I had a left lane lurker match speed with me with his headlights hitting the drivers side mirror. I gave it a second for him to pass, but as I said he matched speed with me. I then angled the mirror up and left, hoping it would hit his windshield, only then did he speed up and pass me. This is a super rare occurrence, I see no need for the added complexity of an automatic system.

This is one of those things that I really never considered a big problem. Now if the next vehicle has the Night Time Side Mirror function fine. But it will not be on our list of things we must have.

I suspect many do not realize that they have auto dimming mirrors, these have been common for the last 15 years and standard equipment on luxury vehicles. I have an old mirror in my toolbox for 12 years that I use as a tool that is (was) auto dimming.

There have been many posts about the electro-chromatic mirrors rupturing over the years, they describe this as an explosion and those unfamiliar with mirrors believe that this is impossible.

1 Like