Should my balls float?

Just went on AutoZone’s site, they sell blue windshield washer fluid that freezes at 32 degrees, 0 degrees and some at -20 degrees. Color doesn’t tell you anything.

How about; Unhook the hose from the spray nozzles and pump it out? Add some of the -20 stuff to whatever is left for a net of 0, -5, -10, whatever fraction you could put in? This ain’t rocket surgery @melott.

@Mustangman , it may not be rocket surgery but it sure is brain science.

How about folding out the wiperblades so they do not touch the windscreen and just pull the little lever the way you would if you wish to wash your windshield. The little electric pump will spray it on your windshield till the reservoir is empty…

They still make concentrate for windsheild washer fluid, maybe dumping concentrate enough for a gallon of water into the reservoir would work. Should be able to use enough to get the good stuff through before a deep freeze.

Meh, if it’s blue water, drive down to the local hardware store and pick up a pint of “methylated spirits.” That, apparently, is the difference between summer and winter fluid. Mix it in about 30% strength with the water and it’s DIY winter fluid.

I swear, this “blue water” stuff has all the marks of some eco freak with too much time on his hands…

Is methylated spirits methanol?

It’s denatured alcohol.

melott,please dont joke about drinking that stuff-I had a dear brother who was mentally disturbed and He committed suicide by drinking the blue stuff that had methanol in it-He died a horrible death.

First of all, if you hold down the control to wash your fluid for a couple of minutes you will empty the reservoir. Secondly, if there is a little space in the tank, simply pour in a little washer fluid “concentrate”. Many stores still sell this for people who prefer to mix their own washer fluid. It won’t hurt anything if the fluid in the tank is already winter fluid and it will keep any summer fluid from freezing.

I prefer to use the “de-icer” fluid in the winter (yellow or orange) and the bug cleaning fluid in the summer (green). Our winters are VERY cold and we get frosty nights as early as late September so I start to add de-icer fluid to my cars’ tanks around this time of year (as they run low). The “bug juice” is very effective at cleaning the bugs off of the windshield but freezes around 32 degrees.

@kmccune I am sorry I brought back that terrible memory for you.

Do you really want to be spraying alcohol all over your freshly waxed car? Winter is coming so it should be freshly waxed anyway. I’d worry about that more than the washer fluid.

I’m glad I live in a climate where getting ready for winter means new wiper blades and a cold morning means 30 degrees.

I don’t think I’ve gone through a gallon of washer fluid in my life.

@Melott-The apology to Kevin for causing a bad memory to return was a good first step. Step two should be to edit the post that caused that.

Thats ok@melott.who would have thought?