Should I trade or continue to pay off my vehicle

If you owe $29,600, you are already $9,000 upside down on this car. It is not clear if this is because you rolled negative balance from your previous car or the car has depreciated that much already.

I feel your pain with the 120 mile daily commute. The way to make it palatable to the wallet is to drive cheaper cars. I drove a camry that I bought new for $17K until it had 265K miles on it. Currently working on the Yaris that now has 250K miles on it. You really need to finance your car for no longer than 48 months to prevent yourself from being in this perpetual debt trap. This will hopefully ensure that your car will not be wore out before you are done paying for it. So if you must get a new car, make sure that you can afford the payments under 48 month terms. If you can’t then you simply need to find a cheaper car. The benefit will be after your are done paying off the car, you can hopefully continue to drive it until it is ready for the scrap yard.

So your dilemma that you have now is your are at least $9K upside down in your current Rav4. I would hope that the car will last over 200K with no major problems. Unfortunately for you that gets you to 200K in 4 years and you still have 1.5 years in payments. In all reality you need this car to last till 260K miles in order for your car to outlast your payment. If you don’t have GAP insurance, I would recommend it unless you have cash funds to pay $9K in the event of an accident.

Also, assuming your commute is mostly highway, you don’t get much real benefit from owning a hybrid. Hybrids benefit the city or heavy traffic drivers. If this is not your scenario, you are buying a car that does not really benefit your fuel cost but harms your wallet even more.

Alternative fuel vehicle might be an option for you. Depends on where you live and what fueling options you have. I ended up doing a DIY propane conversion on my camry and it cut my monthly fuel cost over 50%. When I converted gas was $3.50/gallon and I was filling up with propane for less than $1 per gallon. My fuel savings paid for the conversion in less than 3 months at that time.

The Rav4 hybrid does ok, EPA 34/30 city/highway, with 14 reports averaging 36 mpg on fueleconomy.gov. Not bad for something with that much room.