Should I take this offer on my VW TDI?

Timing in life is everything. My timing has been off all my life. Probably in the fine print there is a clause for unusual market conditions, war, nuclear events, grasshopper invasions, bankruptcy, or strangulation of the salesman that made the offer. In other words, the offer is subject to final approval by the management. But what the hey, go for it. A boat anchor for a few years, then a classic for museums in maybe 30-40 years if you want to store it that long.

You didn’t say which model you have. I assumed it has the automated manual transmission but not the navigation, sunroof, or any options. According to Edmunds, trade-in is about $19,000 and private sale value is about $20,500. I suppose if it is the base model with few options, the price is decent. If you have sunroof, navigation, and a few options, the price isn’t very good. But under the circumstances, you might want to take the offer.

$19 K for a 2014 seems like a pretty good offer. I don’t think the scandal affects the value much. In fact it might increase the value, b/c it is entirely possible as part of the settlement VW will be required to offer to purchase the car back from you, and at a price higher than that.