Should I pay to repair a 1989 Bonneville?

My 1989 Bonneville has 145K miles on it. I was told it needs a total of $1200 of repairs. Is it worth it? Or should I just trade it in for a new(er) car? A car this old, what are the odds that there isn’t going to be something else wrong with it in 5-6 months?

This car is probably getting to the end of its life. On the other hand, if you get something newer it will cost you a lot more in registration, taxes and insurance. Get a second opinion from another mechanic, and ask this question there.

Odds are very high something else will be wrong. The question is what you will buy next. After 10yrs or 150k miles expect some issues including major ones. Unfortunately cars are expensive.

What kind of repairs? A 145k miles is pretty low mileage for a 20 year old car unless the car has been thrashed in the past. If it has not been abused then it should easily go 300k miles.

Just wondering if these repairs you mention are normal wear and tear/maintenance type items and I would consider a paltry 1200 dollars as a cheap trade-off considering the age/mileage of the car.

Well I would guess you are going to get about $1,200 less in trade or sale price without the repairs. How will you know that what you buy to replace your Bonny will not need $1,200 in repairs.

I suggest you may want to list the details on that $1,200 and maybe we can cut that back.