Should I keep this (1973 Chevy C-10 short bed pickup)?

I have a 1973 Chevy C/10 Pickup that runs great. It was a gift from my father. I keep the oil changed and I get regular tuneups. I also make a little money with it doing odd jobs. The only problem is the starter, which grinds or misses, even with shims in place. Every 3rd start, I have to go underneath, loosen the two bolts, tap the starter, then tighten them down. Then the truck starts fine until it slips again. Even when I have this done professionally, it only lasts 3 weeks. The truck also leaks a little transmission fluid (I use about 5 bottles per month).

We have another family car, a Saturn. My family hates the truck and it isn’t always convenient to slide underneath (not to mention rain). By the way, I am a 47 year old man who’s perfectly satisfied with this. But I don’t want any more debt. What advice can you give me?

Are you suggesting that with a proper repair this starter issue cannot be resolved?

If those 5 bottles you leak per month are quart size you do not have a “little” leak.

But you are happy and that’s what matters. Or is it that you are happy being 47 years old? Thats also good.

Of course I am happy to be alive at any age. No, I’m pretty much immune to the urges to “Keep Up with the Joneses.” I have a job, family, home and I live walking distance from where I work. I’m not rich, but I’m not worried either. I have co-workers who always complain about lack of money and some even snicker at me and my old truck. But my car is the only one paid for. And I have peace of mind. The issue is the truck. It’s a gift from my father, a retired soldier who does everything well and keeps several cars registered and maintained. People regularly ask me to sell them this truck. I refuse, but only because the starter problem is a just a 5 minute nuisance. I personally don’t want to trade a known minor problem for an unknown major problem in another vehicle. Plus, there’s the emotional issue of holding onto a vehicle given to me by my father, who’s still alive and well. Thanks for your replies.

Good job,I can add 5 “bottles” a month is a major problem.

The best advice I can give you is to STAND YOUR GROUND! You have a good head on your shoulders and none of the false pride so many of us are burdened with.

Tha starter problem should be repairable. You may have a bad tooth are on the ring gear of the flywheel that’s causing the starter gear to hang up. It’ll need to be looked at, but it’s worth fixing.

I miss my dad. You are lucky to have this truck as a means of sort of staying in touch with yours. Don’t you dare get rid of it.