Should I go through with a $1400 catalytic converter fix for a 2005 Ford Focus with 140,000 miles?

First thing I would do is check for emissions in your state/locale. If you’re in the boonies like me, no emissions inspection is required, only safety inspections yearly. If that is the case, look for an exhaust shop (or do it yourself if you’re handy) and search the internet for either cheaper CATs (you’re looking for cheapo, low restriction stuff) or straight pipe (sometimes called test pipes) and have them welded-in. Make sure your O2 sensor is upstream so you don’t have performance issues. You can do this for $200, no problem. I await the flames on the emission law violation I’m suggesting her. Flame on! Rocketman

BTW, $1400 is crazy, I’d never pay that for a CAT for a Focus. Rocketman

I would say no don’t do it. It’s not worth the money. I have a 2000 camry that costs $2k for the complete exhaust. I just drive it the way it is. It’s not worth it to fix.

BTW, $1400 is crazy, I'd never pay that for a CAT for a Focus.
Heck, I'm not sure I'd pay that for the whole Focus!

If the car is decent, not too rusty, fair interior, no major mechanical issues, I’d go with the fix I suggested. You can pick up a test pipe or even a cheapo CAT for a few bucks and weld it into the exhaust system. The OP seems to be short on money so I suggested that he go this route. Rocketman

@minizcule1‌

You need to shop around big time

I’d venture to guess that $2000 is the price for the genuine Toyota part, from the dealer. Naturally a complete factory exhaust system front to back costs significantly more than an aftermarket cat installed by a reputable exhaust shop

Exhaust work is nasty, but ANYONE (more or less) can do it. Assuming you have 1) a safe means of raising the car 2) a hacksaw 3) a 9/16" wrench, you can buy a CAT and a pair of exhaust clamps and go to town!

Again, VERY dirty nasty work…but you save a grand.