Should I get another car

And its been so fast!

If you can afford it, buy a new car! I went through that with my 1999 Chevy Malibu last year, that poor car was getting too expensive to keep running.

Well if its cheaper to keep her;I should prob wait till I have money to blow to get something else.

And its just been expensive lately. And part of that is my fault for not catching that caliper in time.

And this mechanic was so reasonbly priced on that rust patch. I dont feel I have to worry if he needs to do more in that area. He doesnt seem to think I have a valid reason for dumping this car.

I kept my Malibu for 4 years after I paid it off because it was nice not having car payments every month and cheap insurance but once the maintenence gets out of hand its not worth it to keep the car anymore. I’m not one for trading in a car the day I send off the last payment and the bank sends me the title, I’ll keep a car for years after its paid off, if it continues to run well, but when it gets to the point where I am spending hundreds of dollars a pop just to keep it going. Time to upgrade!

If he thought I should dump it I think he wouldve told me its not worth it. He seems like a good competent guy.

Well a big part of that was because I threw caution to the wind and paid Pep Boys their high prices for convienience.

It could be cheaper to keep her. I could get the rain leak fixed and then be good for a long time except for tires. It could work out mathmatically.

It is possible it could be cheaper to keep.

It could be possible, keep in mind though, the older cars get, the more expensive they are to repair and the harder it is to find parts for them.

Everybodys had the parts. Theres been no trouble there. The reason this car can be expensive to fix is because its not an economy car. Its hard to work on because theres so much useless crap under the hood and probably bad engineering as to where to put things and bad engineering and an engine thats too big that takes up too much space.

The older cars are more expensive to fix. And factor in that a lot of younger, less experianced mechanics aren’t as familiar with the older engine designs. My brother went to school to become a mechanic and a lot of his training came from fixing newer, economy cars with fuel injected engines instead of carberators. They didn’t really spend a lot of time training them how to fix older cars.

My question is would starting over with a cheap economy car like the one I mentioned and one I could get for around 2k if that would be save money in the long run.

My mechanic mentioned that my car is not that old. Its fuel injected and It hasnt cost more to fix because its old. I can tell when I’m talking to a younger mechanic and I’ve avoided them because they seem green to me. I had told my mechanic I broght my car to him because it was mentioned that he’s good with older cars and he told me its not that old.

Well if you’re getting an economy for 2k, it may or may not save you money in the long wrong. It all depends on what condition the car is in. Has it had regular service? Has it ever been in an accident? See even an economy car can be a money pit if its in poor condition, but if its in great condition, you’re gonna save money on gas and repair costs.

But I’ll be throwing away the what I just had done to this car which could be wastfull. Of course I would get one in good condition.

This car is in good shape right now just passed inspection except for a somewhat nasty rain leak and some rust that my mechanic doesnt think is a that bad as he put it.

I really got the work done that neede to be done so I’m not sure if it would be worth throwing that away for an older economy car. That just might not make mathmatical sense or economical sense and I could be ruining the purpose of getting an economical car. Sorry if seems like I’m beating a dead horse here. May by thats why I havent been getting replies from the others here.

Thanks everyone for your help it has been greatly appreciated. I feel a lot better about this. I think I should keep this car and get out of it what Ive been putting into it and possibly it will serve me well for quite a while. I feel since I put so much into it lately I should make use of that. That could serve me well for quite a while. If theres anything I can do to support this I will. Let me know if I missed something relevant to that.