Should I get an oil change now?

I stand corrected.

Heh heh. No need. Just making a point that people think they are the only ones who will ever own their cars when in reality a car changes hands, I dunno, three, four, or more times in its life? I just like to see machinery well cared for and will maybe be appreciated by the next generation that owns it. So abuse the car but quick sell it to avoid the consequences seems to be the attitude of some frugal folks? Not you.

The car is 15 years old, if it gets dented it will be totaled. I wouldn’t be concerned about the next three owners. When I buy a 20 year old vehicle I just assume the oil has not be changed in five years.

I think you missed post 31 from Lee which is what most of this is about, not the 15 year old rusty roof original post.

For those advocating long intervals with synthetic oil, be sure to find the long-interval filter to match. You don’t ant a filter in bypass mode.

Lee commented that oil has improved since the owners manual was written, he said nothing about trade-in concerns.

My car may be 15 year old, but aside from a rusty roof and some paint loss, it’s been immaculately mechanically maintained since I bought it brand new. It has about 150,000 miles on it and I might try to get another 150,000 out of it. Who knows with today’s economy and the pandemic. I just replaced all the motor mounts and the suspension lower control arms so right now it drives smoothly. No one at the dealership has mentioned though recently if it needs new transmission fluid changed or not, so I’m curious about that. It’s been a few years and the last time they charged me like $1,600 because they claimed they couldn’t remove the transmission pan bolts and had to forcibly remove the transmission pan and replace it. Ouch.

You missed the point. We weren’t talking necessarily about the OP’s car but Lee’s statement that Mobil 1 is good for 25,000 miles. Sure change oil four times in 100,000 miles if that is the kind of used car you’re looking for.

The OP doesn’t drive 25,000 miles each year so that doesn’t warrant the extra expense, it was just an example of how oil has improved over the years.

Some dealership like to sell add-ons. Krex is a graphite lubricant added to engine oil. The manufacturer claims many benefits for your engine.

So does Slick-50. Snake oil. There is no need for any lubricant additive. Just change oil with the recommended oil change interval and correct oil is all that needed.

3 Likes

Interesting. Didn’t know that.

Have you ever changed your trans fluid? Drain and fill 3-4 qts every 30k miles? Every 5-6 years? I might get some Toyo fluid today. Have off next 4 days.

I’ve had the trans fluid changed at least once

The OP said it was changed but cost $1600. I have mine changed every 30K and cost about $150 the last time. So I would look for a different shop.

There’s a particular specific reason it cost $1,600. They didn’t just change the transmission fluid. They said they had to replace the entire transmission pan, including the cost of the part and labor for that.

That price is still… way high… for the parts and labor that were involved.

They have some explaining to do. The pan is $57 from RockAuto. Figure twice that for local retail.

Thought it was oil thread? I mentioned trans oil cuz it’s a $25 job, just like motor oil. Where the heck did the $1600 come into discussion? Forget I even asked.

@Cavell Back to post #46. All responses do not necessarily apply strictly to the original question. So ya kinda have to read the whole thing sometimes.

1 Like