Should I buy this Infinity QX56 -- it needs some work - but is it worth it?

My boss is willing to sell me his 2012 Infinity QX56 – 156K miles – he got a new car recently and has this one just sitting around. It had some check engine lights and AC didn’t work so he ended up getting a new car since his was 10 years old anyway.

He will sell it to me for $2500 (and I don’t have to pay till next spring).

But after going to get it checked out it needs two catalytic convertors (both are bad) – that is the check engine light. They are quoting $2500-$3000 - they are really hard to find I guess.

It has some other stuff too - the AC needs a new motor, the spare tire won’t lower and needs mechanism fixed, some brake work, oil change, windshield repalcement - all about $1000-$1500.

So with all that this makes the car more like $6500.

The blue book on this unit is between $10,000 and $12,000 so it’s still probably a good deal right?

P.S. I am moving from a 08 GMC Envoy RWD with 116,000 miles. Needs new rear brakes, windshield, and wipers won’t spray.

I need a bigger towing vehicle (which this is), I really need AWD or 4X4, reliability, and space for family.

Our budget is about $6500 - what makes this above vehicle nice is 2500 of that can be paid a year from now.

Sorry to say but it sounds to me like your boss just ran the vehicle into the ground and then decided to buy something else and about junk this one… So possible poorly maintained may also mean oil changes were a second thought and not a priority for vehicle up keep…
Normally you are not driving along one day and your vehicle just decides to fall apart all at once…

5 Likes

I say Pass , this is your boss and you don’t have to pay him for a year ? The only way I would do that is to pay him now and have the title in my name and never say how much work you had to do on this neglected vehicle.

If your relationship with your Boss is good now don’t take a chance on losing that .

3 Likes

So it actually has all the maintenance records - regular oil changes, transmission service, radiator service, etc – it has brand new tires ($1000 worth) and new brakes. They take really good care of their cars.

But her dad buys her a new car every 10 years and so when they said they wanted $500 to diagnose the problem her dad offered to just get her a new car (BMW). So they have this one sitting around that won’t pass emissions. Super nice and well kept inside.

It’s had everything but CPR. Don’t worry; that’s coming soon. The repair bill could easily double, so a car that you can drive now is a better deal unless you like a challenge and can fix it yourself. Take it from me, the worst mechanic at Prince Pyrotechnical in 72. I did not win the Brookfield 500.

You will have to replace the catalytic converters and also repair the problem that caused them to fail. I don’t see a reason for the cat failure in your to do list. Oil blow by in the engine might well be the reason and disassembling the engine to fix that problem can easily double or triple the cost. If you are still seriously considering the car, have a cylinder pressure test and maybe leak down test run and get the mechanic to inspect the inside of any failing cylinders with a borescope.

2 Likes

Will he give you title now? Or when you pay for it?
If the latter, you fix stuff now on his truck? Awkward.

+1
This Infiniti seems like an excellent example of “buying someone else’s problems”.
I would RUN away from this deal.

1 Like

Needs cats? Says who? Boss had repair estimate? Which said why cats were bad?

He is a close friend. We do dinners weekly, hand on the weekends, etc.

They are paying for all the check up stuff.
Then if I want it I get the title and pay for repairs.

They don’t want to screw me.
They are trying to help us out on a cheap car… They said if we are concerned at all don’t do it and they will repair and sell for like $10-$12k. They just know we need a large SUV and only have 6500 total.

My trusted auto shop says this.
Ive been going there twenty years.

They ran the check engine code first.
This is what it says. Both cats are bad.

Can I trust just the check engine codes???

They didn’t want to dig any farther or spend more money before I decided to move forward once I knew that info.

I would have the title right now.
He’s just a family friend so said if we don’t have the money now to pay us later. No biggie.

They knew it would need repairs.
So they figured we’d need the money for those.

They don’t want us to have a car that breaks often. They have to see us everyday and are good friends. They’ll just sell it to someone online is we don’t get it for more money.

The problem is other cars that are large SUVs have over 200k - 250k miles and range from $7000 to $11000. The market sucks but we need a vehicle within two months for dinner towing/camping.

I could keep using the GMC envoy but experts say it’s really to small to be safe and I’m probably screwing up the engine and transmission every time I go.

Yes, but I think you need to think about what jtsanders stated, namely:

Most people are able to drive many more than 150k miles without the catalytic converters going bad. There is almost surely an underlying problem in the engine that led to the demise of those cats, and this can be VERY expensive to fix.

Good advice above. Re: cats - do you know how much oil it uses? How many miles between needing a quart? If it burns a lot of oil that could be the cause of the cat problem. I’d also replace the oxygen sensors at the same time.

You’re in a tough spot: tight budget, but need an expensive vehicle. This might be your best option.

Who are this ’ Experts ’ ?

What or how much weight are you towing and how often are you towing it???

3000-3500lbs
We tow every weekend - about 50-60 miles each way.
We have a lot of issues with sway because of the short wheel base of the ENVOY.
We have a lot of issues with going up hills and can’t get over like 45mph because the engine can’t handle it. It says its rated to 5500lbs but sure doesn’t feel like it - seems like we are pushing it to the max every time.

dang, one site has it for $144. add says left/right cats. or is it 1 cat?
$1800 labor? Of course. It’s so complicated.

The experts are the rv place, service mechanics, sales people, other rvers, people who sell weight distribution hitches - people wth 20+ years of experience int he field.

The cats are not the expensive part of this.

It’s the labor - I called four shops this morning to see what they said vs the current place.

All quoted between 11 to 12 hours to get this done because it’s part of the manifold and can’t just be easily removed and replaced. That is about $1800 in labor.