Should I buy a car from the Big 3?

And while we’re at it, some unpopular cars are best bought new. I bought a new Olds Silhouette Premium in 2003. MSRP was over $34,000 and I bought it for $22,500. That included a 60/60 extended warranty from GM to attract buyers to Olds after they announced the demise of the marque. It took 3 years for the resale price to drop to the price I paid.

In 2001 I bought a 2000 Ford Taurus with 29K miles on it… I owned it until 2003 and put 42K on it before I passed it along to my mother. She still has it today, it has about 105K on it. In that time it’s needed only maintenance and a handful of small repairs (tie-rod end, front sprng, ignition coil).

My father owned a used 98 Town Car from about 2000 @ 35K to 2007 @ 135K … with the exception of an HVAC issue that was expensive (but under warranty) I don’t think he needed to do any repairs except for an alternator. He has 43K on his latest Town Car which is a 2006 he bought @ 19K.

My sister has an 05 Escape with 86K, they haven’t done a thing to it except maintenance.

If you can find a Ford/GM product that meets your criteria I’d say go for it.