Should hoses be replaced as preventive maintenance?

I tend to replace mine as a preventative measure every 2-3 years or 100,000 miles or so. When its convenient like recently when replacing a water pump, I just combined thermostat, hoses, and a flush to do it only once. I’ve never had a hose burst in 40 years but did develope a pin hole leak once that still allowed me to drive the 150 miles home. My hoses are only about $15 and do it myself. $450 is way too high. I just prefer to spend the extra $50 and do work in a warm garage at my convenience rather than outside at 10 below, or have to pay for a tow.

I drive a 1998 Civic with 187,000 miles, and I just replaced my radiator hoses last year when I replaced the radiator. I haven’t replaced all those smaller hoses at the back of the engine.

Normally, I would say yes, replacing the hoses before they rot and leak is a good idea. However, in your case, I think you can safely wait until it has 150,000 miles on the odometer.

I had a 1966 Valiant that had the original top radiator hose when I junked it in 1990. I pulled the radiator out before I junked it and that hose wound up in my pile of slant 6 parts. The drain trap under my kitchen sink failed on Easter Sunday morning with 20 people due for dinner and I used that radiator hose for an emergency repair. Five years later the metal pipes it connected to rotted out and I retired that hose, I thought it had worked long enough.