Shops should not allow non-mechanics to talk on the phone

It’s worse today.
Try giving more change to round up the total so you get back larger coins.

You gave me too much!
Yeah, it’s so I get a quarter back instead of a mitt full of smaller coins…

There seems to be a total lack of critical thinking anymore.

I have had the change thing happen many times where they can’t figure it out. Once was at a grocery store. They hired this girl who was just terrible. She had a bad attitude and was just dumb. Eventually she got fired but it was a mess. I always got her as a cashier and I hated it every time. It got to where I was avoiding this store because of her. I did file at least one complaint to corporate. If an employee is running off customers, those in charge need to know.

Anyway, there was one time my bill was $10.10. I handed her a $20 bill and realized that I had a dime in my pocket after she had input the amount of cash I had given her. I told her that I had a dime and just wanted a $10 bill back . She just locked up and froze like a deer in the headlights. I explained that if I gave her $20.10, I would get $10 back in change. She just kept looking at me. I finally said “Too complicated?” and she was like “Yes.” I was like, just give me the original $9.90 in change and forget about this dime I have.

Basically if it wasn’t a number punched into a computer or returned by the computer, she had no ability to figure it out herself. At least she is gone now and I have no issues at this store. She was awful.

A service advisor doesn’t need to be as knowledgable as the best mechanic, they just need to be competent. Rather than expect to completely overhaul the mechanic pay structure as suggested, why not just have the service advisor “shadow” a mechanic for a few hours each month? If you combine this with a certain minimum number of hours of ongoing education and training, I see no reason why this would need to be a problem.

I’ve not kept any cash in my pocket in over two years. Even vending machines take plastic today.

BikeGuy88, of course a service advisor does not need to be as knowledgeable as a mechanic.

However, in my experience the vast majority of them have no mechanical aptitude at all and too many of them rely on BS when a customer asks a legit question. Many of their answers come from outer space.

It should be incumbent upon the service advisor to ask (and understand the replies) questions of customers because the devil is always in the details.

In the past I’ve related a tale about the GMC dealer here, their moron service manager who actually brought his own cars to me for service, and his ads for “service advisors needed. no mechanical knowledge needed. Must be PC proficient”.

Same goes for the local Chrysler dealer. The owner’s wife is the service manager. The local paper did a story about her “being a woman working in a man’s world”. She knows less than zero about mechanical things and according to the owner “She may not know much mechanically but she knows how to work people”. Translation…BS her way through any questions.

1 Like

I disagree with this. The manager has to know how to manage people, how to provide materials and equipment when needed, and manage the interface between the shop and the customer. My managers have a slight idea what I do. They don’t really need to know a lot, but they do need to know when the information I have is valid. They ask questions and come at the issue in more than one way. If I present a consistent story, they believe me. If they aren’t convinced, they ask for more information.