Shop can't balance drive shaft

db4690, I had the vibration before I took the DS to shop for balancing. That’s why I took it in. I never had the vibration until I changed the u-joints and the carrier bearing, even though the u-joints were shot and the rubber bushing in the carrier bearing was shot. I changed the u-joints and the driveline shop pressed the carrier bearing on for me. The vibration started after I put the driveshaft with the new u-joints and carrier bearing back on the truck. The shop had nothing to do with the vibration.

One variable is the oblong slots in the carrier bearing where the blots fasten it to the truck frame. Slide the CB to one end - vibration. Slide it to the other end - no vibration.

wesw, first time for changing ujs and cb, but only 140,000 miles.

Good for you for sticking with it and eliminating that pesky vibration.

Maybe those holes are slotted for a reason .

“Maybe those holes are slotted for a reason”

Ya think?

:wink: Shift, semicolon. Couldn’t resist.

140 grand ain t bad…,

I must ve skipped a page of responses when I posted. I didn t realize that you had solved it already. perhaps the bearing was cocked a bit too.

old trucks rock!!!

…and sometimes vibrate…

then bits start to fall off…

then I pick them up for a song and rejoice at my good fortune…

oh yeah, you probably shortened the life of the joints or bearing. the vibration did , I mean…

don t be surprised if you have to re do it soon.

Yeah, and every time I have a beer or eat salami, I shorten my own lifespan, but not by much. The vibration only started right after I changed the U-joints and carrier bearing and I haven’t been driving it at those speeds since I noticed it, only to test.

If you follow that up with a big slice of pizza the next day, that counteracts the negative effects of the prior beer and salami. According to George’s Health Clinic … lol …

@GeorgeSanJose

I had my annual physical a few months ago, and it wasn’t good

My doctor SPECIFICALLY advised me to lay off the pizza . . . along with all of my other favorite foods :frowning:

hmmm … my advice … go to a different doctor :wink:

Just kidding of course.

@GeorgeSanJose

I showed the results of the physical to my brother’s wife, who is a doctor

She glanced at them, and agreed that I need to make some changes :frowning:

funny, but it doesn’t take much to damage a bearing, and damaged bearings have short lifespans.

but these guys are experts, some of them, and they would know better than I …

it s easier the second time anyway…

UPDATE: Moving the carrier bearing to one extreme of the allowable range eliminated the most severe vibration, further driving at highway speeds revealed that subtle vibration still existed above 55mph. I reasoned that if moving the carrier bearing side to side increased and decreased vibration perhaps moving it up and down might also have that effect. Since the carrier bearing on a Dakota hangs down, I could only shim it down. I started with 1/2 inch, did some test driving, and increased the shim to 3/4 inch. After about 15 miles of driving over 60 mph I could sense no vibration. I will post another update after more highway driving.

@“Jack Dak87”

you the man :smile:

I do what I can. I plan to be the last 1987 Dakota standing :slight_smile:

Well, you’re already one of the last

Because I live in relatively rust-free southern california, and I hardly see any more first generation Dakotas

So they must be that much rarer in other parts of the US

I don’t know about the other First Gen Daks, but the Holley 6280 with the mixture control solenoid that was not available as a replacement when the originals went south is what done in many of the 87s. 88s and after had throttle body fuel injection. Don’t know what done them in. Old age, maybe.

I replaced the 6280 with a 2280. 2280 is an old school carb, no mixture control solenoid. No problems, passes smog, the truck rides like new, I swear. I even managed to resurrect the air conditioning. It has a ton and a quarter suspension. It’s been a great work horse and a smooth ride.

Gee what’s wrong with pizza? Bread, dairy, vegetables? Don’t go to Italy, all they have is pizza and pasta. You’d starve.