Shifting

My cousin drives a 2001 Honda accord ex-l and when he back out of anythink like a parking space driveway etc. He’ll go from reverse to drive without fully stopping can this be harmful to the transmission? It automatic. Oh and when he accelerates from a complete stop the car will rev to mabey to the third rpm then it’ll shift violently to second like if someone hitted him on the rear of the car are these problems connected?

What he is doing is hard on the transmission and he may already have caused damage. (I an not sure what the third rpm is.)

Yes he is damaging the transmission when shifting from reverse to forward while the car is still moving backward.

Yes, again the abrupt shift into second is a sign that something is wrong with the transmission and it likely is related to the improper shifting into drive while rolling backward.

I doubt your cousin will connect the two however and will continue to drive as he does. Don’t let him borrow your car(s). Let him break his own stuff if that’s what he wants to do.

What your cousin is doing would be harmful to any car with an automatic transmission, but this is a disaster waiting to happen with a Honda of that era, due to their notoriously fragile automatic transmissions. And, if he is like the majority of people who ignore transmission maintenance every 30,000 miles, he is really condemning that transmission to an imminent death.

When you refer to “the third rpm”, I assume that you are referring to 3,000 rpm. Next time you are in the car, take notice of how the tachometer is marked, and you will probably notice that somewhere on its face, it states “x 1,000”.

3000 rpm

Transmissions these days are electronically controlled. There are safeguards built in to prevent damage from doing things like the OP mentioned. However someone does such things on a regular basis, then he/she is likey hard on the car all the time. And the hard 1-2 shift is probably a result of drving the car hard over a long period of time.

There are some cars that won’t allow the shift from D to R to take place until the car stops…I doubt that his is one of them. It’s good that it’s his car…smile when he complains about transmission problems and don’t let him borrow anything of value from you, let alone a car.

ransmissions these days are electronically controlled. There are safeguards built in to prevent damage from doing things like the OP mentioned.

I might buy it if your wrote : Transmissions these days are electronically controlled. There are safeguards built in to prevent damage from doing as much damage as it would have in older cars.

The OP’s cousin’s Accord has the M6HA 4 speed automatic. It’s electronically controlled and has such safeguards built it. On a somewhat related note I put the theory to the test on my 1995 Bronco, it put it in reverse whilst traveling at 60 MPH…Nothing happened. Based on what I’ve read my and my experience, pretty much any car with electronic transmission controls made after 1994 or so has such safeguards built in. Now when you’re talking about the old hydraulically controlled slushboxes, you can’t do such things and not expect to break something.