Service engine soon light on Sentra S 2007 ( what to do now?)

Every car since the late 90s has at least 3 computer systems. The number keeps getting higher in newer cars. You’re trying to reset the ECU/PCU (engine and transmission are often done together in a PCU). You’re not resetting airbag or ABS.

Yes the engine is off in the video.

A full wiring diagram from a place like eautorepair.net (a paid service) or a brand specific scan tool can tell you how many computers there are.

i wanted to if the steps in this video also apply to my sentra to clean the throttle body and recalibrate the system (stepping and releasing the gas pedal)Throttle Lag, Engine Hesitating? Try Cleaning Your Throttle Body! - YouTube

He also says to put a specific torque on the throttle body bolts by manufacturer recommnedations or there could be problems. Is this really necessary or where could I find how much to torque these? also he says not to touch the butterfly flaps, but he does so when he removes the piece to clean them? i’m guessing you can do this if thhe throttle body is taken off the vehcile and not when mounted or what?

Ive never done this so idk if if it would be wise since my issue isnt follwing directions. just not having them…

You don’t want to open the throttle plate on an electronic throttle by hand because it can damage the gears inside the throttle body. Then you’ll have to replace it.

To clean the throttle body, have a helper turn the ignition switch on, but don’t start the engine.

Have the helper push the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there. This will open the throttle plate.

Now you can spray throttle cleaner into the throttle body to clean it.

Tech tip; Use an old battery powered tooth brush to reach into the throttle body to scrub away the carbon,

Tester

Re parts store employee help. Those folks are often helpful, and do the best they can, but most aren’t properly trained for this sort of problem. Suggest not to rely on parts store employee diagnostics to repair your car. Take your car to a good independent shop (or dealership) and ask them what’s causing the problem, and what’s needed to fix it. At that point you can ask the techs there for an explanation so you’ll have the info needed the next time something similar occurs. Internet solutions can be very helpful, but presume some basic knowledge, the type found in aftermarket repair manuals. If you don’t already have an aftermarket (chiltons/haynes) repair manual for you car, suggest to buy one. Even better method is to subscribe to a service data-base, like All Data or Mitchells. Trying to solve problems like this without the proper training and information often winds up being a fool’s errands. A lot of time and money wasted.

Is there throttle lag, or the engine is hesitating?

+1
Taking repair advice from a parts store employee is the automotive equivalent of asking the cashier at CVS for medical advice.

Yes, it is possible that the parts store guy or the CVS cashier could have advanced expertise, but it isn’t likely, and relying on their advice could be counterproductive.

Before you take the advise of a parts store employee call that store and ask for the price on a universal battery terminal and see if they ask what the year make and model of the vehicle is… Most of the young people have no idea what you are talking about… The Commercial department side of the same parts store are normally pretty good, with parts knowledge anyway…

1 Like

I can not find the other threads. Isn’t oldwaysx the one with the same car that complained of “hard gar” smell?

My advice, if you want to keep the, stop attempting to “cheap out on parts and repairs. Replace the intake hose with a quality part then if problems persist find a good, non-chain auto shop. San Antonio is not a small town, you should be able to find one. Pay the diagnostic fee. A correct diagnosis is more economically sound.

If I am wrong about this Sentra and oldwaysx being confused with someone else, I apologize in advance.

Good advice. In many cases, especially for OBD II configured cars which tend to be pretty complicated, a diy’er car owner will be money and time ahead by paying a good shop tech for a diagnosis, then doing the repair themselves they they like. Cars from older eras, carbureted non-computerized, a diy’er could often make a guess, replace the part, might have to repeat using another guess, and soon have the car working again. Those days are gone. For OBD II car designs, very easy for a diyer to run out of time and money making guesses before finally finding the actual problem & solution. If DIY simply wants to do it themselves, b/c they consider a hobby orjust a challenge, it’s a fools-errand without access to at least an aftermarket manual’s service data.