Service engine soon light on Sentra S 2007 ( what to do now?)

I dont know how it happened but it is just a long 3" or so tear along 2 of the inside ribbing. I’m just more curious why it would be a bad idea to only leave it taped up until it falls apart? I take it the rubber pieces getting stuck in the engine would not be good or what else could go wrong? I dont know about cars so I was curious who has done this and with what results if I can save money…

When you say repairs are complete, do you mean after I get the intake hose replaced (since I was going to try and do it myself) and then I would have to take it to a shop to reset the car? WHat part of the car is being reset? The drivetrain computer? Can I not reset this on my own or would it have to be a place like advance auto parts like you say or autozone? I’m a bit confused

WHen the leak is fixed, you can just drive it until the CEL / MIL turns off, or speed up the process with a reset by a scan tool, or in some cases, a battery disconnect or pulling the right fuse. It clears the drivetrain computer.

1 Like

But you are saying only advance auto parts or oreily has the right scan tool to do this not autozone? I will try the battery disconnect. Would it be just like disconnecting the negative cable for an extended amount of time or what? What fuse could I try to pull? Would i have to take any precautions or extra steps when pulling fuses? My best guess on the intake is dry rot btw and it feels/looks like a more “intact” tear with no real noticeable amount crumbling edges.

had to edit the above…

I don’t know. At once time one of the store chains wouldn’t clear the CEL without having the user fix the problem or buy something, or they wanted it taken to a mechanic. I forget. The Internet search results are filled with semi computer generated spam blog posts written by foreigners who have poor English or people who have next to no knowledge on the subject but want to collect ad revenue from web site traffic. They target popular topics like car check engine light and iPhone unlocking.

Yes you can disconnect the negative battery terminal.

Snorkys tear because they have to flex as the engine moves.

Longer ones don’t have this problem.

But yours is short.

Tester

That reminds me, this kind of tear, as well as a failed exhaust flex joint, can be due to bad engine mounts.

Have somone who knows what they’re doing look at the engine while you put it in drive and reverse and step on the gas a little bit to see how much it moves.

Your owners manual will tell you for sure, but Service Engine Soon is usually a notice based on some combination of miles, hours and startups/shutdowns and it means that things like an oil change are coming due. The owners manual(s) also have charts showing what services are recommended at what miles or months.

Does the Check Engine light come on when you first turn the key to Run? If not, it may not be working. If so, and you had no CEL while driving, the problem detected was too small or too infrequent to warrant turning on the CEL.

Im not sure what you mean but yes when i turn on the car i get a service engine light. and it came on like i mentioned right after when i filled gas at the pump which i thought was odd

BTW to repeat myself, as far as I know someone told me that autozne was wrong when they said my vehicle service engine soon light and check engin elight were 2 different things… and that they are actually the same thing on Nissans. But I never got real confirmation?.. All I can say is that I see no other light or anything that refernces what autozone was saying about seeing an exlamation point within a triangle or engine light sign pop up. And my manual shows all the lights that pop up and none of them seem to present any sort of indiaction it has a check engine light sign, just engine oil pressure.

thanks for the help btw everyone

Should i try disconnecting the battery now or once i install the new intake hose piece? would it make a differnce?

all i can say is after months of dealing with this, i am still getting a rotten egg smell coming from somewhere near the front of the car or under the car i think, since i dont really smell anyting from the exhaust pipe (catalytic converter?) when i get close to it (sometimes it seems stronger than others when i pull into my garage). And the coolant liquid is going down too every time i seem to use the AC. Because even in these past few days, where before it did not go down at all I saw a rough qurter inch depletion in the coolant tank. What do you think is going on?

Don’t disconnect the battery.

https://www.aa1car.com/library/battery_disconnect_problems.htm

Tester

1 Like

The only significant thing in that list is that the adaptive battery charging can be reset.

If anything requires a scan tool to be reset after a battery replacement, or just a dead battery, then better find out now and obtain the correct tool. The sooner the better.

oldwaysx,
Coolant loss is not good. Could be a failing water pump if you don’t see an obvious leak.

Disconnecting the battery can reset the CEL. I don’t think it will make the vehicle drive any better even after you tape over the crack. A vehicle with a properly working oxygen sensor will work out any differences within a few minutes of running.

When I worked at AutoZone, we were not allowed to clear codes (something pretty much any code reader can do). I imagine the same thing is true for other stores. However, we were allowed to let customers borrow the code reader. What they did with it was up to them.

That was a legal issue at least in the middle Tn area while we had Marta (emission testing), as people would try to clear the codes and then run through Marta, of course they would fail due to the readiness monitors not being ready yet, I think you had to have 7 of 8 ready before you could pass as long as NO CEL was on and your gas cap passed (but your vehicle could be a rolling death trap)… Now that they dropped the Marta waste of time thing I don’t know about clearing the codes with out doing any repair work…

so i tried disconnecting the battery and am still getting the warning light. Also where is the water pump on my car? is this somethig i can fix without getting under a car? where would i notice the leak if there was one? is the water pump close to the radiator cap hose?

should i try taking it to mechanic once i install the new itake hose if the light doesnt go off after/ disconnect battery, considering it could be another issue? autozone said leaving the service light on would cause no real damage unless something else down the line would cause a problem which could trigger that service light, so its best to get the code cleared to be on the safe side.

is it easy to clear codes on your own or do you have to have alot of prior knowledge? my understanding though is if you try to clear a code and havent fixed a problem it will just still show up as with the service light mentioned

Disconnecting the battery doesn’t always work.

The water pump is attached to the front of the engine somewhere. It’s considered a more advanced skill service. You may have to go under the car or remove a wheel on some models. A repair manual is needed as the water pump is part of the timing chain.

Water pump leaks are harder to find since the leak often stops when the engine not running or at idle. The potential water pump issue is much more serious than the check engine light being on.

does a sentra have many computer systems? I hear there are different ones on cars like the transmission ones and one for the engine. which system am i trying to reset on mine?

would this video work on mine? Nissan Reset ECU in cabin no battery disconnect - YouTube it looks like he is doing this on a car that doesnt have the engine on, just the car right?

how many does computer systems does my car have btw? am i trying to reset the pcm, ecu or tcm or which?