Service engine soon light/ no acceleration

When driving the ses light comes on. The engine drops to idle, and stays that way until the light goes out. When the light comes back on the truck acceleration returns. There are no codes. Any ideas.

Your truck is going into “limp” mode and that indicates a serious problem. There must be a code stored in the computer. You should attend to this immediately.

Make model, miles and year please.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

I don’t know what you’re using to pull codes, but decent code scanner will pull history codes. You need a code scanner that will do that.

Is your cigarette lighter working?

Readers,when you have what we mechanics call a drivability issue,we need to know the year and engine size. Just the same info you would give a parts man. It would be nice if you would also include the state of the maintence of the vehicle in question.

Sorry about lack of info. This is a ford f250 super duty,7.3 v-8. I have taken my truck in two times to check the codes, and there weren’t any. maintence is good. 1 of the 2 cigarette lighters is not working. Thank you for your input.

On many Fords the cigarette lighter & the scanner port are wired to the same fuse. If the fuse is blown you cant pull any codes.

If the fuse for the not working lighter is blown, replace it & try pulling codes again.

Now that you mention it, I think its like that on my GM as well.

To the OP, you said “I have taken my truck in two times to check the codes.” Taken it in where? All code readers are not created equal. You need someone with a reader that pulls history codes. History codes were once set (like when the light came on) but cleared by the PCM (when the light went off). But the PCM holds onto the past codes. A lot of generic code readers won’t pull the history codes.