Serpentine Belt

I replaced the belts (non EPDM belts) on my Dodge at 200,000 miles, now I’m good for another 200,000 miles although I doubt that I keep this car that long.

The Goodyear Gatorback belt for my Camry was $11 including S&H from Amazon. So when I wanted to check the pulleys at 140K mile for the start up noise, I had no doubts about putting a new belt on. Now the noise ended up being the VVTi oil starvation, but that is a different story.

Myself, I prefer Gates belts

I do NOT like Continental belts

I well remember my oldest son calling me one time where he was stuck on the side of I-35 on a Sunday afternoon and not a parts store within 40 miles.
His 5 year old, 70k miles Camaro had popped a serpentine belt and during an oil change a month before the belt was inspected and determined to look like new.

So dear old dad’s Sunday afternoon became a road trip.

@ok4450 When I change the belt, I throw the old one in the trunk on the off chance that I am stuck somewhere. The old belt would get be by for a few miles.

Galant stole the words from my mouth…a great addition to the spare tire well, a great way to gain an emergency belt…Especially when you have only One belt to do everything. There has been a spare serpentine belt in every one of my vehicles where applicable for at least 15 yrs now so there are even more advantages to preventive maintenance. Of course this only works if you do it before the old one breaks.

Blackbird