Serious A/C Leak

Last year my a/c in my 2000 Buick Century 3.1 liter was ok but this year the pressure was so low that the compressor clutch wouldn’t engage. I put 2-1/2 12 oz.cans of R134a with leak stopper in it, hoping it would improve the leak enough to last the summer. The pressure came up to almost 40 psi.& the discharge air was nice & cold. But overnight, it all leaked out again & I am right back where I started, no compressor clutch. I didnt smell anything coming from the evaporator. What would be a most common cause for this loss, ruptured condenser? Dried up & hardened compressor seals?

I assume the experts would use a dye to detect the leak.

R134a is not an Ozone destroying agent but it is illeagal to vent into the atmosphere . So take this thing to a certified A/C shop with the proper equipment.

You need to use a refrigerant sniffer to quickly locate the leak.

Tester

1 Like

R134a has a significant global warming potential and that’s why it was replaced by other refrigerants.

2 Likes

Curious, how much money did you just spend on freon and a low side gauge???

1 Like

And yet damage to the environment continues:

KUOW - Tacoma ship fire worse for climate than burning a million gallons of gasoline

Yes, nearly 10 tons of freon was released into the air 2 miles from my house. It’s nearly impossible to find anyone who will service an R-12 system in a classic car, but refrigeration ships can still carry 19,000 lbs of R-22.

And large ships burn bunker fuel too. At least now it isn’t in US waters.

Servicing an R12 system is no different than servicing an R134a system.

But to do so requires different equipment and materials.

Just for beginners, you can’t purchase any amount of R12 refrigerant from anywhere unless you’re certified to do so.

Where with R134a, you can walk into Wally- World and buy as many cans as you want.

Most vehicles that came with R12 refrigerant systems have either been converted over to R134a, or are no longer on the road.

And those who insist that the AC system be kept original in their classic car realize there’s a price to be paid for perfection.

Then look at the price for 30# bottle of R12.

I use to buy the same thing years ago for $150 and without a certification.

But I still repair R12 systems.

But it won’t be cheap!

Tester

1 Like

? It’s still sitting here smoldering while they pump the fuel out of the tanks.

Yes and most mainline shops no longer have that equipment or expertise.

I expect from the comments above you already know you’re looking at a problem that will likely be very difficult to diy’er diagnose & repair. Whether you do it yourself or hire an experienced shop, or some mix of the two, it would probably be worth your time for you to read through these four informative A/C repair tutorials.

Time to find a good a/c shop. My guess, hole in the condenser from a stone, but nothing more than a guess.

Could be one of the service ports

We have lots of GM vehicles in our fleet and replace these quite often

When they go bad, they leak FAST

1 Like

I read that belt driven / automotive R-134a systems are exempt from the usual rules that keep the trade unions in charge of servicing the other refrigeration equipment.

You can refill your car with R134a twice daily if you like.

Refrigerant cost is one of the main reasons we replaced the central AC system for our home. It would have cost us about $1000 to recharge the 20 year old system. Age and refrigerant cost led us to spend for the new one.

1 Like

Our 99 Grand Prix had lower condenser leak in 2010. Could see green dye easily. That was 13 yrs ago

So far I’ve spent about $85 on refrigerant, low side guage & valve unit only to have it all leak out & take me right back where I started the next morning with no cooling, no compressor clutch. I must turn myself in to a garage & pay hundreds now

If you lose enough refrigerant, the pressure switch in the system will prevent the compressor clutch from engaging.

Tester

If you keep trying to fill it to find the leak then you will be in the hundreds, better to leave AC up to the professionals that already have the proper tools and experience to find the issue…

3 Likes

@gudenteit

After you recharged the car, have you at least crawled underneath and listened for any hissing noises from the ac system

Some bad compressor shaft seals can be found that way

Have you sprayed glass cleaner . . . or something else with bubbles . . . at those service ports

When those service ports are bad, they often bubble

3 Likes